AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was in the fabric store today looking for headliner to use on the walls of the theater, and also went looking for materials to use as drapes and masking elements.

i found some black cotton duck for $6/yd that seems like it will work well. it is an even matte texture and doesn't look like it will hotspot or glare.

i also found some really cool looking navy/purple velvet that i would like to use for the side curtains (which will close for 1:85 and 1:33 aspects). would this be a poor choice? it seems highly reflective on some of its surface, while other areas just seem suck in all the light like a black hole. i'd also like to get a little color going on because the rest of the rooms scheme tends toward dark grey.

i'm posting here because this doesn't really seem to be a screen issue, and i am interested in the best way to cancel out the DLP spill.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's one of the reasons i'm intrigued by the duck-all the felt i looked at today had somewhat of a sheen. i was sure that couldn't possibly work well.

i'll keep looking for the other kind, but i'll try the duck also-it looks much sharper than i expect the felt will.

anybody have any opinions on the velvet/velour?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've been told that velour is a better choice for HT side curtains than velvet, since it has an elegant texture but is less reflective. I'm anxious to go back to the fabric store and get some samples to see for myself, but I'm afraid my projector will arrive while I'm gone!

Mike

P.S. I always get funny looks from the ladies when I go into Hancock's (big fabric chain in Memphis) looking for material for screens or some other HT DIY project. One of these days I'm going to buy five yards of hot pink satin and a bag of silver sequins and tell them I'm a drag queen.

[This message has been edited by catullus (edited 07-24-2001).]

·
Registered
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ckolchak:
lol.

<snip>its fun hanging out in the fabric store!</snip>
You are one messed up individual....

------------------

Darren Rogers

Please stop reading my signature....

I really mean it, you're starting to get on my nerves!

Listen, I'm not kidding here, if you keep reading, you're gonna regret it!

Look into my eyes, and do not doubt my reslove - if you persist, you will be taught a lesson you will not forget!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Use a fairly open weave PURE NATURAL fiber felt.. NO plastics at all. Zero poly content. This is the most absorptive for sound as well. Get the stuff to do double duty for you. Eat light AND auditory reflections.

Remember..sheep know best. This is why they developed these fibers in the first place.. over hundreds of thousands of years. Ever heard of a shiny, noisy sheep? I think not.

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by KBK (edited 07-24-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.