AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I am building a shush box for my InFocus LP330. As all of you know that the PJ is pretty loud but has a pretty good DLP picture and be had for around $1k used. I have already got the box built but am now trying to get the fan that moves the most air yet is the quietest. Kinda a catch22. Well I found some fans at my local comp store that seem one size bigger than the normal computer fans that go on the back. It moves 87 cfm and is 25 db. Well I powered it up using my computer and that thing was spinning its A$$ off. Sure it moved alot of air but it was very loud. I didnt think 25db would be so loud. I have heard of 20db fans but cant find any at any local stores that carry one. Where would I be able to order it? I am doing one fan pusher at the bottom of the box and one fan puller near the top to extract the hot air that is rising. Probably going to be hooked up to the HTPC once I build that too but I would like to be able to use them with a good old DVD player like I have now. Thinking that this would be the cheapest route

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ctGroup_ID=313

But I think that one of these would be best

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ctGroup_ID=427

For the simple fact that I could actually slow down the fan but it would still move enough air. It moves enough air just by spinning it with my fingers. It doesnt need to move thousands or RPMs. So I guess I am just looking for some help. I have done a search on this and it is a little vague on this subject. This is my first post so I hope it isnt too long. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh I forgot to ask if anybody has done the grommet or washer mod on this projector? Looking for a write up or some direction before I tear it apart to isolate color wheel noise. Thanks again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
TIer,

I'd love to see a Pic of your hushbox when you have it completed.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok well I was wrong on the size and CFM. The size is 120x120x25mm. It was just the next bigger size from what looked the norm of 80mm. I didnt know that there was another size inbetween. I just saw, baby, the processer cooler fans, Normal, the fans in the back of the PC. And El Grande that I got. The CFM is 78 not 87 now that I am looking at the package. I did find a much quiter fan the Panaflo 80mm L1A that moves 24 cfm and is only 21db. It too is 12v. but .1 amp. It moves alot less air but is also smaller and rotates slower, hence the less db's. I am still thinking of going with the 120 but we'll see if I can slow it down and lessen the DB's. Thanks for the links.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.