AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still experimenting with the picture quality when I am playing back a recorded show from my hard drive. Zoomplayer is beginning to give me the best PQ, but was wondering what filter works the best?

·
Registered
807 Posts
This is a semi-perpetual subject that comes up regularly. I think it's fair to say there's no "the best", just people's favorites. I'm using the Sonic Cineplayer decoder pack. It is considered among the best by many, and it's cheap ($15 for the decoders only). Picture quality on my 60" GWII is very good.

I've also installed ffdshow and it does give the picture just a bit more "punch" using its scaling and sharpening. Another thing to play with.

-Rob-

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rop - I also have the 60" GWII. Today I was trying to get ffdshow working, but have been unsuccesful. I go to the part where I register it, but it never comes up on the left side of the filter section.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rop
This is a semi-perpetual subject that comes up regularly. I think it's fair to say there's no "the best", just people's favorites. I'm using the Sonic Cineplayer decoder pack. It is considered among the best by many, and it's cheap ($15 for the decoders only). Picture quality on my 60" GWII is very good.

I've also installed ffdshow and it does give the picture just a bit more "punch" using its scaling and sharpening. Another thing to play with.

-Rob-
Do you use CinePlayer with VMR9 or in Overlay Mixer mode? If I set mine to VMR9 it will cause ZoomPlayer to crash (even with it enabled in the Cineplayer decoder settings in control panel). If I add ffdshow it will work (but is a real resource hog). I could never get ffdshow to work with WinDVD (which I also have)

- Cryo

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Try this thread for more info:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=261942

VMR9 with FFDshow can be hard to achieve. Also, if you use DVI interface I would suggest to try without resizing and perhaps try to get used to "softer" image that is closer to the original.

For VMR9 also see my post on Catalyst and anti-aliasing. If your Catalyst is not doing AA in VMR9, there is much to be gained.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are these filters mainly for the DVD mode? I am using ZP just for playback of video from my hard drive - not DVD's.

·
Registered
807 Posts
My ZP is 100% DVD use, no playback of other streams. I didn't pick up on that in your original post rgathright, it makes a differnece, good point!

I did experiment a bit with VMR9 but that was in the days of ZP2. At the time there were 'issues', my memory is not great but could have been with subtitles and menus not working properly, and maybe color control. Image quality wasn't different/better (to my eyes at least), so I switched back to overlay mixer and stuck with that.

As to ffdshow: As it happens I re-installed that yesterday after someone mentioned that the January-2003 build is a little less CPU intense than the May-2003 build I was using. After the reinstall it didn't work. Something about "pins not connecting". Some head scratching later I figured out I forgot to enable "raw video" in the ffdshow setup. Checked the box and was back in business. Something you may want to look at. Other than that it's pretty much just run the installer and enjoy. No special setup or tricks needed.

-Rob-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.