AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

I am looking for a new receiver, and i would like to know if the below receivers are not "too much" or "over-killed" in comparison to my speakers?

I have Klipsch synergy F30, S20 and C20. I currently have a Yamaha RX-V461 (7 years old now, and no HDMI support) that i need to upgrade. I am looking for a new receiver mainly for Movies for my mediaroom 17x14. I was considering Yamaha A1020 or Onkyo 818 or anything less than $700.

Any suggestion, comment?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
$700 new shipped from crutchfield for the 1020 is a good deal. All the refurbs are sold out and amazon is $100 more. I keep reading about some serious bugs in that Onkyo 818. Check out near the newest posts in the dedicated thread. The 818 is fancier on paper but the 1020 is bug free and probably more reliable.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about my speakers pairing? Is the 1020 over kill for my speakers? Should o go to a lower model? How do you compare?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am trying to figure if its worth spending 700$ on a1020 or if the Yamaha RX-V675 at 380$ is enough for my set up.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Or you could go for the A830.

I personally have 671 but it's not my main audio system so good enough for me. I've been driving it with B&W 601, Ruark Etude, Kef Coda 7 and Wharfedale Diamond 9.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The a830 is more around 850$, I dont want to go over 700$. I can find a1020 at crchtfiled for 699$ while the 675 is currently on sale at new egg for 380$ with free shipping, no taxe.

Will I notice a big difference from 675 to a1020, is it worth 300$ difference?

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Weird the 1020 is more expensive. ok what about the A820? I have no idea you'll notice the difference.

Klipsch aren't exactly hard to drive, nor inefficient speakers so who knows. But yeah you're right about Onkyo reliability seems a bit so-so.

·
Registered
28,725 Posts
The RX-V675 should be enough for your needs. Then you could use the $300 savings to buy a subwoofer, which would be a very significant improvement if you don't currently have one.

You didn't mention a sub in your original post.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I do have a sub, it a klipsch 10inch something. Just wondering in between the 1020 and 675 if the 300$ is worth the upgrade.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylem  /t/1526054/best-fit-for-my-speakers/0_100#post_24574812

I am trying to figure if its worth spending 700$ on a1020 or if the Yamaha RX-V675 at 380$ is enough for my set up.

It depends on the features you want. Download the manual for each to make sure they have the features you want, and look carefully at the pictures of the back of the units to make sure that they have all of the connections you want. Normally, it is best to buy the least expensive receiver, of a good brand (like Yamaha), that has all of the features you require. If the RX-V675 has everything you want, it will be a fine choice. If not, the RX-A1020 is a great deal at $700.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't really care of the features. I just need hdmi and 5.1 speakers. I am looking for the best quality audio/video for the cheapest.
I do everything from my htpc and Xbmc

·
Registered
7,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylem  /t/1526054/best-fit-for-my-speakers#post_24576443

I don't really care of the features. I just need hdmi and 5.1 speakers. I am looking for the best quality audio/video for the cheapest.

Then the 675 will do everything you need.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
The 773/7065 were a great value 2 months ago. Then product ran low and price went up a lot. The 675 is probably similar to or slightly better sound quality and power to the 461. The 1020 steps up in power and maximum loudness a little bit. And has connections for external amps if needed. And sound quality should be slightly better. Your room is pretty big. As long as you always use a subwoofer and run most of the main speakers as small the cheaper receiver will do. Klipsch play louder than most brands with low power. Otherwise I would recommend the heftier model. I have the 773 and the A1000. There is a difference in performance. $300 worth? Probably not for most.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I finally decided, i just ordered from new egg the 675 for 380$, i will give it a try, i have free return with new egg, so i will see.

Thank you all for your suggestion.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylem  /t/1526054/best-fit-for-my-speakers/0_100#post_24576443

Then it is probably the right one. The advantages to the more expensive one are primarily features. A tiny difference in power is generally insignificant, because it takes a doubling of power to get just 3dB more volume. Most of the time, one uses very little power.

The RX-A1020 has a more flexible version of YPAO that might make a difference, but it may not be significant, depending on your particular situation.

Really, if you looked at all the features and do not want any of the extras of the RX-A1020, it is better to save the money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts