AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10' wide room that is going to be light controlled. What screen size and brand should I go with?

I am debating between the accuscreen draper and the elite screens.

Are the grey screens better than the white?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,

My room is 14' wide and 16' long. 100% light controlled with no openings and no windows. The viewing distance for the front row is 12' (144 inch), and 15' for the second row. I think the rule of thumb is that the viewing distance should be at least 1.5 times the screen width. I went with 106" screen which has a width of 92". 92inch times 1.5 is 138 inch (just below my 144 inch viewing distance".

I was debating between white and grey. I was going to get white because my room is perfect for white, but after long consideration, I decided to get grey because of 2 reason.

1. I want darker black

2. Sometimes I want to watch movies with family with a little ambient light.

I was looking for light gray with slightly positive gain material in particular to mantain good color, white, and brightness.

Also, make sure your projector is suitable for the gain and size of your screen. http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm

I was considering Elite, Focupix, Saaria, Grandview, EluneVision, and Carada (most expensive). After long research, I ordered EluneVision Elara 106" HD Cinema Grey (1.1 Gain) Fixed Frame from EastPorters.com for several reasons:

1. It has beveled 3" black velvet covered aluminum border. The rest of the competition in the price range have only 2"

2. It has a good and secure way of tensioning the screen compares to the rest except Carada.

3. 3 ply material (reflective layer, strong and thick vinyl, and black)

4. Light grey material with slightly positive gain 1.1

It arrived almost a week ago, but I did not get the chance to assemble till last night. Unpacking, counting nuts and bolts and washers (make sure there are no missing parts), and assembling took about 2 hours. The build quality is simply awesome. Nothing is cheap about this screen. They have it on sale for $269.99 + $59 shipping. I think the sale will last till Jan 31.

Good luck with your finding.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great information!

I actually pulled the trigger on an accuscreen last night.

I went with a Draper AccuScreen 92" Fixed SoundScreen (Gray).

So the actually viewing is a lot less? Your 106" screen only has a viewing area of 92"?

·
Registered
13 Posts
sc300tt,

how do you like the way the screen is tensioned? It looks like there are multiple disjoint tension points as opposed to a rod through the fabric based tensioning used by Elite etc?

·
Registered
27 Posts
silvershark,

Im sorry, I wasnt being clear. My screen is 106" diagonal (with 106" viewable too). The ratio is 16x9 or 1.78:1. So, the width of the screen is 92", and the height is 42".

ncHTsetter,

That's what I thought to at first, but it turned out that my screen has four rods inserted into 4 sides of the fabric. So, the hook/screw tensioners in actuality are pulling the rods, not the fabric.

·
Registered
130 Posts
sc300tt,

how long after you ordered did you receive your screen? How big was the package? I am thinking about ordering the same one, and would have it delivered to my work and wonder if it is too big for my car. Are you happy with your puchase? Thanks..

-Jeff

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jeff,

The package is about eight foot long, 6" height, and 10" depth. It may fit in a suv or a minivan if you fold all the seats. I can tell you one thing though, the packaging is top notch. I had mine delivered at the house, however I called UPS just to make sure that the driver could leave the package on the front porch. BTW, it was shipped by Purolator, and transferred to UPS. It's about 5-7 days.

I was happy with my purchase. The only other screen that I saw (not compared) was 1st gen Stewart Firehawk. I would say the quality is comparable.

I might get flame for saying this, but I'd rather spend my money on better projector or nicer amp than buying overprice screens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts