AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the general discussion regarding better refresh rates on plasmas and blacks, but some sales associate was telling me that LEDs render images better than plasmas.....

the example he gave was one of a character off in the distance in a game like Call of duty. He said that an LED will show u more detail on the distant character and you can tell right away that it is a person in the distance where as a plasma is not as good at rendering smaller, and distant objects and the person will not be as clear to figure out what it is....

any feedback? got $2000 to spend and looking for a TV at least 55" in size, but prefer the 59"-60" panels.

Thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberathlete /forum/post/20836401

I know the general discussion regarding better refresh rates on plasmas and blacks, but some sales associate was telling me that LEDs render images better than plasmas.....

the example he gave was one of a character off in the distance in a game like Call of duty. He said that an LED will show u more detail on the distant character and you can tell right away that it is a person in the distance where as a plasma is not as good at rendering smaller, and distant objects and the person will not be as clear to figure out what it is....

any feedback? got $2000 to spend and looking for a TV at least 55" in size, but prefer the 59"-60" panels.

Thanks!

plasma is not as good at rendering smaller, and distant objects and the person will not be as clear to figure out what it is....

what we talking about a plasma made in the 80s ? I use my pc to play on my plasma every weekend with a 5870 graphic cards , the 1080p on my plasma looks exactly the same as my pc lcd monitor, and renders exactly the same

·
Registered
8,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_real_7; /forum/post/0

plasma is not as good at rendering smaller, and distant objects and the person will not be as clear to figure out what it is....

what we talking about a plasma made in the 80s ? I use my pc to play on my plasma every weekend with a 5870 graphic cards , the 1080p on my plasma looks exactly the same as my pc lcd monitor, and renders exactly the same

So then what did you meant when you said ''more detail per pixel''?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...8&postcount=21

·
Registered
88 Posts
very good question wish more people ask this , ok pixel density or dot pitch or several other names they call it have nothing to do with plasma vs lcd , it more has with screen size, the bigger inches of the screen the bigger the pixel size . so the sony has 54 viewable inches vs my 57 viewable inches , but both do 1080p resolution--which equates to 1,920x1,080 pixels , but mine has to make 3 inches , so the pixels have to become bigger , that why the whole sitting situation goes into effect , now my pixels become bigger i have to sit further not to notice it . . . the 55 inch is great if you are 6 feet and further back and will look a bit better in hd , but then just imagine why people with 46 inch give the least complaints , they get the best pixel pitch with the least amount of uniformity problems

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
The salesman was feeding you a line of crap. LCD doesn't resolve any more detail than plasma at a given resolution.

There are plenty of people (myself included) who use plasmas for gaming just fine - as long as you don't abuse them, they offer better motion resolution and significantly less lag than LCD. It's ultimately up to which picture you prefer better.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the response guys! Yea it makes sense that given the same resolution a larger TV will have larger pixels and therefore will need to sit a bit farther not to notice the rendering done...Im contemplating going with the Plasma (still determining how many games do I play that have static health bars and such) since I can find a 59" Samsung PN59D7000 for $1720 right now...which is a decent deal. A comparable LED around that price will be 55" yet this plasma is rated up there for pic quality....

any how, this toss is up what is killing me, I am currently using a Sony XBR 34" CRT. and god the picture is beautiful on that. I just wish they made a 42" version of it...

·
Registered
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 /forum/post/20837580

Do to the potential for burn in on a plasma, LCD is the prefered display tech for gaming. Peace of mind is more important than whatever alleged advantages PDP might have over LCD.

or you talking a old tech issue of plasma , and forget there was old tech issue with lcd also and none of them exist today on higher end version of these technologies , i play on the weekend up to 8 hours with my xbox 360 that includes leaving the media player box with static screens on the screen long hours , and yet have i had any of the issue your talking about ? actually my xbox 360 , and my tv have screen protectors just for this ? Im not a plasma fan in any way at all , and a big fan of both and i have the top technologies in both . . . pick what you like but don't throw old things into the mix to make some one else s decision harder

·
Registered
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberathlete /forum/post/20838166

Thanks for the response guys! Yea it makes sense that given the same resolution a larger TV will have larger pixels and therefore will need to sit a bit farther not to notice the rendering done...Im contemplating going with the Plasma (still determining how many games do I play that have static health bars and such) since I can find a 59" Samsung PN59D7000 for $1720 right now...which is a decent deal. A comparable LED around that price will be 55" yet this plasma is rated up there for pic quality....

any how, this toss is up what is killing me, I am currently using a Sony XBR 34" CRT. and god the picture is beautiful on that. I just wish they made a 42" version of it...

if it helps and you dont mind me saying the most important thing i would look for is game lag to that particular screen , plus like always pq . . . if you like dark games in general stick with a plasma if you play a little of both it wont really matter , just a plasma saturates darker colors a bit better , when i play call of duty i use my lcd , cuase i like the whites of the snow a bit better

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberathlete /forum/post/20838166

Since you mentioned pixel pitch and pixel size, keep in mind that your XBR looks great because it's the size of a postage stamp and so are the pixels at that size. If you took the resolution of that XBR and bumped it up to 50"+, it would look terrible, especially since it's only 480 lines. One trade-off is that a larger HDTV will not look as good as your XBR if you sit 3 feet from the screen, but who wants to do that?

·
Registered
426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 /forum/post/20837580

Do to the potential for burn in on a plasma, LCD is the prefered display tech for gaming. Peace of mind is more important than whatever alleged advantages PDP might have over LCD.

I might buy this for a PC monitor - but gaming - no way. Gaming sometimes 12 hours at a time and never a problem on any of my pdps and they perform better than any of my lcds.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_real_7 /forum/post/20838728

or you talking a old tech issue of plasma , and forget there was old tech issue with lcd also and none of them exist today on higher end version of these technologies , i play on the weekend up to 8 hours with my xbox 360 that includes leaving the media player box with static screens on the screen long hours , and yet have i had any of the issue your talking about ? actually my xbox 360 , and my tv have screen protectors just for this ? Im not a plasma fan in any way at all , and a big fan of both and i have the top technologies in both . . . pick what you like but don't throw old things into the mix to make some one else s decision harder

I'm going to say this again. Once the Master Burn-in thread is removed from the AVS forum (Audio Video Science Forum, note the word science), which would signal that burn-in is no longer and issue with plasma, I will continue to warn against burn-in.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 /forum/post/20839925

I'm going to say this again. Once the Master Burn-in thread is removed from the AVS forum (Audio Video Science Forum, note the word science), which would signal that burn-in is no longer and issue with plasma, I will continue to warn against burn-in.

Until you take the content of that thread within context, most experienced owners here will not take your comments seriously regarding burn-in, and rightly so. As with the buzzing issue, you've managed to paint something (out of context) as a larger problem than it is.

·
Banned
345 Posts

Quote:

_+ 1 Burn-In or IR as people call it that stays on your screen more than a few seconds is just about my only problem with plasma tech. I am learning to live with the low light output which washes away the screen. I am also learning to live with screen being so reflective. Regards

·
Registered
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac31391 /forum/post/20846184

_+ 1 Burn-In or IR as people call it that stays on your screen more than a few seconds is just about my only problem with plasma tech. I am learning to live with the low light output which washes away the screen. I am also learning to live with screen being so reflective. Regards

i guess it does matter the company and the screen but i can honestly say that i never get any ir on my c8000 screen , could be mines always has the pixel orbiters enabled

·
Registered
162 Posts
if isnt to play pc games the best option is no doubt plasma.

burn in is very very hard to happen on panasonic plasma since 2010 and retention is very minimum, still for monitor pc i never recomend plasma.

for 2000$ i think you can buy very easy the best tv on market in 50", the panasonic VT30. in PT this tv cost 1579€, dont know the price in US but for sure will cost less than 2000$

for more than 50" i forget plasmas and i will go to projector. the price from 50" to 55" is absurd IMO

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac31391 /forum/post/0

Image Retention, low light output and screen reflection are all deal breakers for me. I can live with a bit of motion blur. I also don't like off-angle washout (which is why I won't touch projecton tv's) so I'm really torn between LCD for its ability to handle light and reflections (matte screened) LED for its brightness and color and PDP for its perfect viewng angles. Its going to be hard to choose a set next time I'm in the market.

·
Registered
162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite /forum/post/20849146

Image Retention, low light output and screen reflection are all deal breakers for me. I can live with a bit of motion blur. I also don't like off-angle washout (which is why I won't touch projecton tv's) so I'm really torn between LCD for its ability to handle light and reflections (matte screened) LED for its brightness and color and PDP for its perfect viewng angles. Its going to be hard to choose a set next time I'm in the market.

in panasonic plasmas 2011 using console games i assure you you will not gonna have any image retention (unless you pause game or put in menu for hours). even if you have IR that will disapear in seconds, IR isnt burn in (burn in is almost impossible to happen now on panasonic plasmas).

dont know what you mean about low light output.

screen reflection are common on almost lcd too because lot of them use gloss screens to try close the IQ of plasmas.

dont exist lcd and led exist this:

1) lcd normal

2)lcd edge led

3)lcd fullled

avoid always 2) because have a bad racio price/performance.

as i say for playing console game IMO best option is by far plasmas because essentially have better IQ. if you are sensible to trails obvious playing on plasmas will be very anoying .

·
Registered
162 Posts

Quote:

maybe you would want say IR and not burn in. burn in is like almost impossible (not to say impossible) to happen on panasonic plasmas since 2009/2010

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_sousa /forum/post/0

in panasonic plasmas 2011 using console games i assure you you will not gonna have any image retention (unless you pause game or put in menu for hours). even if you have IR that will disapear in seconds, IR isnt burn in (burn in is almost impossible to happen now on panasonic plasmas).

My most recent experiences with plasma (a top ot the line 2009 samsung plasma) showed me otherwise. After merely an hour of gaming, there was significant IR on the screen. And it remained visible up to about an hour into the BD we played after gaming. That is not ok. Major deal breaker.

Quote:
dont know what you mean about low light output.

The inability of the light output of the tv to compete with the ambient lighting conditions of the room it is in making the picture appear slightly to significantly washed out during the day or when the lights are on. Most LCD and LED tv's handle ambient light like a champ. PDP's not so much. If one can exercise light control at all times, this isn't a problem but not everyone has that luxury. Especially those of us that have spouses that love throwing blinds and curtains open during the day to let light in.

Quote:
screen reflection are common on almost lcd too because lot of them use gloss screens to try close the IQ of plasmas.

I'm aware of this trend and am very dissapointed in it. I prefer a matte screen due to the lack of reflections. My matte screened lcd is perfect in this aspect. There are zero reflections on the screen and even a direct light source is minimized to a slight blur on the screen. I no longer feel I have to watch tv in the dark. My wife and I would almost get into arguments before I had this tv because I would turn all the lights off to avoid reflection and she would turn them back on which would annoy me. Matte screen solved the problem. The next time I go searching for a new tv (probably next year as we want a bigger set) I'm going to have a very difficult time because how the tv handles reflection and glare is my #1 priority.

Quote:
dont exist lcd and led exist this:

1) lcd normal

2)lcd edge led

3)lcd fullled

I'm aware of all that.

Quote:
avoid always 2) because have a bad racio price/performance.

I have no intention of buying an edge lit LED. I will probably buy a Sony full array LED or a Panasonic PDP unless I am unsatisfied with the reflectivity of both of those sets, in which case I'll probably get the best CCFL LCD I can find with a matte screen.

Quote:
as i say for playing console game IMO best option is by far plasmas because essentially have better IQ. if you are sensible to trails obvious playing on plasmas will be very anoying .

I have had zero issues playing on my current LCD. And the image quality is good. Of course I don't play FPS, mostly JRPG's so input lag isn't an issue for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.