AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some posts on this, but they are all a few years old and new models are out now.

This will be in my bonus room and not watched as often as the main TV. It will recieve a mix of HD and SD signals.

1. Is Plasma Vs LCD better for SD upconvert or does it matter?

2. What is the max size I could get away with?

3. Is there a way to tell how good the TV will upconvert by looking at the specs?

4. Any models/brands to look for (stay away from)?

5. Is there anything I am missing or not thinking about?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJeep_1999 /forum/post/19565484

I've seen some posts on this, but they are all a few years old and new models are out now. This will be in my bonus room and not watched as often as the main TV. It will recieve a mix of HD and SD signals.

1. Is Plasma Vs LCD better for SD upconvert or does it matter?

SD tends to look better on a plasma than an LCD.

Quote:
2. What is the max size I could get away with?

With SD, the bigger the screen is, the poorer SD will look regardless of technology. SD was designed for little analog tube TVs, so blowing up that poor signal on a big digital screen will expose all the flaws.

Quote:
3. Is there a way to tell how good the TV will upconvert by looking at the specs?

No.

Quote:
4. Any models/brands to look for (stay away from)?

All the various models and brands of both technologies have their own issues and/or problems with this or that to varying extent so you have to read the owner's threads for any brand/model you're considering and see if the issues being discussed would be tolerable to you. There is no such thing as an issue-free TV, but some have less issues than others.

Quote:
5. Is there anything I am missing or not thinking about?

Exactly what kind of SD are you planning to watch?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
Exactly what kind of SD are you planning to watch?
I actually won't be using it much at all... Mostly for the kids shows and the misses teenybopper drama shows. Occasionally sports games if we're upstairs playing pool or something we might have a game on while we're doing that.

One more question... if I do plan to use this for mostly SD signals would I be better off getting a 720 instead of a 1080 monitor?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.