AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which of these floor standing speaker do you think is the best?

NHT ST4

Paradigm Monitor 9

Energy C-7

Kef Q7

Yamaha NS-777

Athena AS-F2

Celestion AVF302

Wharfdale Diamond 8.4

Please also feel free to make additional suggestions of similar price range.

Thanks

Ed

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just bought a pair of Infinity Alpha 50 floor-standing speakers for approximately 30% less than your limit and am extremely happy with them. Beautiful sound. Solid bass. Excellent speakers, and it appears that most places have them marked down because of the impending release of the Beta series.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Paradigm 11's sound much better than the 9's to ME and I've only heard the Energy's you listed which faired poorly IMO with the 10 or so speakers I compared before buying.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think you should also take a look at the B&W DM603s which is roughly $1K, and the DM604s (Definitely a great find) at $1200. I have the DM604s and love them, very accurate and do have great low end extension to them. It took the speakers about 50 hrs before the bass started to come out, so don't worry if you would get them and it sounds/feels like they don't have any, they will.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cabby850

Please also feel free to make additional suggestions of similar price range.

Thanks

Ed
Without a doubt, check out the Phase Technology Velocity V-12's!

SWEET musical sound that is VERY balanced, detailed, with great imaging and HUGE soundstage!

Check out the recent comments in this thread for info: HERE!

Good Luck on your quest!

Patrick

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would have to recommend the Axiom m60's - they go for under $1000 and in my opinion sound great. Only downside is unless there is someone in your area where you can go here them at their hosue you'll have to buy them without hearing them (30 day return policy), as the company is internet sales only. Anyway, I just bought mine last week based solely on the praise they received on this forum for being a great "bang for your $$$" speaker - and I have to say I think I made a good decision. Everyone's ear is different but the one knock on them you'll read is about them possibly being too "bright" - I personally don't feel there too bright at all, think that possibly the excpetional clarity is sometimes confused with brightness (or could just be my room is pretty dead which would help). Good luck - and regardless of what popular opinion says is best it comes down to what your ear perceives as sounding the best in the end.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
How about the Home Theater Direct Level 4 tower at $900 a pair. I was impressed with them but then again I am not an audiophile.

Regards

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
There is no "best", though you'll get plenty of people claiming that their favorite is "without a doubt" the best. Of those you mentioned and of those I've heard, I like the ST4s, not because they are "the best" at any one thing, but because they are balanced, refined, full range and amazingly neutral. They use the same tweeter as my $4K NHTs which is one of the best tweeters I've heard, even compared to some really exotic ones. The ST4s are, in some ways, better than my older $2500 NHTs, the 2.9s. They have a particularly big advantage in home theater applications as they take a lot of power, go deep and have exactly matched center/rears in the SB3. My one quibble is that they are ported, but they couldn't go as deep if they weren't. Most speakers are ported anyway, so it's not a gripe in this class.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I love my Monitor Audio GR20's $2995 retail. The Silver S6, MSRP of $999/pr. are a steal at that price. One of the few speakers at that price point that I have listened to that work well for music and surround.

·
Registered
116 Posts
personally...i really like the Def Tech BP200X's.....they sound great to me...but i really like a sound that surronds and sucks me in. :) I think the 2006TL's are around a grand.....

Edit: forgot to add this...i have a set of BP10B's suplemented by a sub that i really like....just fyi...the ones i mentioned before have a powered sub

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.