AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been asking around about upgrades, but I thought this discussion deserved a separate thread.

Looking at possibly upgrading my home theater some more

Currently have:

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805

Front L/R: Polk Audio RTi8

Center: Polk Audio CSi5

Surround L/R: Polk Audio Monitor 40

Surround Back L/R: Polk Audio FXi A6 bipole/dipole

Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Im looking for recommendations specifically if I was to start with upgrade only the front end speakers and would feel comfortable with around $1000 for the two floor-standing fronts, or if possible floor-standing fronts and center channel.

Any recommendations?

The Boston Acoustic M360's are made in China, which bothers me honestly. as I work at a American company that has chinese plants for our asian market, and know how many QC problems they have there. Are there any competitors at that same price point/quality made somewhere domestically or at least in Canada/England/Germany somewhere like that?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

I personally would not bother with floorstanding speakers.  You have a subwoofer for dealing with the deep bass, and consequently there is no need for the front speakers to handle anything very deep (assuming that you set things up properly and make proper use of the bass management that your receiver can do).  And at your price point, you would be looking at floorstanding speakers that are basically the equivalent of your current speakers (perhaps with slightly better bass, which would be pretty useless given that you have a great subwoofer to deal with the bass already), not a significant step up.

At your price, I would just keep the gear you have.  You can get something different, but it will not be dramatically better, particularly as you would want to change out your center speaker to match the right front and left, and at your price point, you are looking at pretty much the price of the gear you already have.  Someone who particularly hates Polk speakers will likely tell you to buy something else, but really you need a lot more money for a significant upgrade.

Reactions: Tedd

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1520485/best-floor-standing-speaker-pair-or-3-front-speakers-for-around-1000#post_24426737

I personally would not bother with floorstanding speakers.  You have a subwoofer for dealing with the deep bass, and consequently there is no need for the front speakers to handle anything very deep (assuming that you set things up properly and make proper use of the bass management that your receiver can do).  And at your price point, you would be looking at floorstanding speakers that are basically the equivalent of your current speakers (perhaps with slightly better bass, which would be pretty useless given that you have a great subwoofer to deal with the bass already), not a significant step up.

At your price, I would just keep the gear you have.  You can get something different, but it will not be dramatically better, particularly as you would want to change out your center speaker to match the right front and left, and at your price point, you are looking at pretty much the price of the gear you already have.  Someone who particularly hates Polk speakers will likely tell you to buy something else, but really you need a lot more money for a significant upgrade.
Would you think the new cheap Andrew Jones designed Pioneer speakers would be any sort of an upgrade over the Polks?

·
Registered
19,542 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1520485/best-floor-standing-speaker-pair-or-3-front-speakers-for-around-1000/0_100#post_24426785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1520485/best-floor-standing-speaker-pair-or-3-front-speakers-for-around-1000#post_24426737

Would you think the new cheap Andrew Jones designed Pioneer speakers would be any sort of an upgrade over the Polks?

I doubt it.  Just to be perfectly clear, I have not auditioned your particular model of speaker side by side with the Pioneer speakers.  But even if they are great for their price, that does not mean they must be better than yours, as they are still cheaper than your current ones.  In other words, if they are equally good as yours and if yours do not stink for the price, then the Pioneer speakers would deserve the accolades that they get while still not being a step up for you.  Since they are sold at Best Buy, it is easy enough to go listen to them, and even buy a pair to take home and compare with what you have, side by side, if you still think it is a good idea after listening in the store.

I can say this definitely:  If you have the cherry finish Polks and if they are in good shape, the Pioneers are quite ugly in comparison.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts