AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a pair of floor standing speakers for my fronts. I've got a couple options already picked out, but would like more opinions. My budget is $350.

Option 1: Cambridge Audio S70's (~$320)

Option 2: Pioneer FS52's (~$240)

Option 3: Pioneer FS52's with C22 Center ($335)

Option 4: something else?

I should note that I won't be running a center unless I go with option 3. I won't be able to afford a center if I go with speakers that get close to the limit of my budget. Is it really necassary?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1521276/best-floor-standing-speakers-under-350#post_24446920

If $350 is for a pair, I would add the Infinity 363 to the list.

+1 I would take these over the other options.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
This this set-up for music listening or building a home theater?

Can't go wrong with either choice.

Some other options while within your budget or slightly over

- Polk Audio Monitor 65T BLACK Tower Speakers , $349.99 shipped

- Polk Audio Monitor 70 Series II BLACK Towers Polk Audio , $379.99 shipped

- Polk RTi8's , $399.99 shipped
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1521276/best-floor-standing-speakers-under-350#post_24446920

Good choice but where are you going to find them for that price there are no sales currently cause all I see them is for $319.99 each.

·
Registered
9,764 Posts
If you already have a sub, then I would suggest getting the Pioneer bookshelves with the center.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really wish I had a place to listen to these at. It's hard to make a choice without hearing them.

I definitely can't spend more than the $350. That's actually stretching my budget a bit since I have a car issue that needs to be fixed.

I'm leaning towards the S70's due to their size. They are the smallest of the bunch. Though the Andrew Jones with a center channel for only a few dollars more is tempting. I question whether I need the center though. My viewing distance is 13-14', and I can only place the speakers 6-7' apart.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLSTV  /t/1521276/best-floor-standing-speakers-under-350#post_24448238

I really wish I had a place to listen to these at. It's hard to make a choice without hearing them.

I definitely can't spend more than the $350. That's actually stretching my budget a bit since I have a car issue that needs to be fixed.

I'm leaning towards the S70's due to their size. They are the smallest of the bunch. Though the Andrew Jones with a center channel for only a few dollars more is tempting. I question whether I need the center though. My viewing distance is 13-14', and I can only place the speakers 6-7' apart.
If you are serious about having a home theater a center channel is recommended.

75% + of the audio from TV and Movies in surround sound comes from a center channel. While you can get away with not having a center and doing "phathom center" listening anyone serious about surround sound should look for a center.

When you want to upgrade your system remember you will want a matching center and being that the Cambridge S70 appear to no longer be in production I wouldn't hesitate to get the matching center. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cambs50oak/cambridge-audio-s50-4-3-way-center-channel-speaker-dark-oak/1.html?gclid=CIHh6uXr_rwCFe99OgodQxAALA

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've done some research on centers and read that they may actually sound worse if there's not a large separation between the front left and right speakers. Is there any truth to that? My speakers will be around 13' from listening position, and the speakers can only be placed 6-7' apart.

I'd really hate to buy the S70's and then not be able to get the S50 center if I'm not happy with the phantom center. But I also know that I can't afford all three at the moment.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLSTV  /t/1521276/best-floor-standing-speakers-under-350#post_24449210

I've done some research on centers and read that they may actually sound worse if there's not a large separation between the front left and right speakers. Is there any truth to that? My speakers will be around 13' from listening position, and the speakers can only be placed 6-7' apart.

I'd really hate to buy the S70's and then not be able to get the S50 center if I'm not happy with the phantom center. But I also know that I can't afford all three at the moment.
How long until you be able to spend the 150 for the center? I remember people waited for one center cause they didn't have the $300 to spend on it at the time and fast forward now that matching center is $600 cause the speaker is out of production and supply is low. (Refering to the Energy RC-LCR)

I had my center's real close to my left and right speakers and in no way did it sound worse then when I had the speakers spread apart. For the longest time I had my front left and right on either side of my 46" TV and the center directly under the the middle of the TV. So really no real separation. I was sitting 12ft back from TV. That is what my room allowed for.

Sure when the speakers are spread out it will sound better but it didn't sound worse.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I'm worried about happening. I've been in that situation before with other things. I haven't seen any Cambridge speakers on eBay either. It could be a while before I get the money for the center. I've still got to buy a receiver, and a sub. I also had a small accident with my car that I've got to fix, and I have no idea how much that's going to cost me.

It sounds like maybe I should get a center after all. In that case I might need to go with the pioneers.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLSTV  /t/1521276/best-floor-standing-speakers-under-350#post_24449765

That's what I'm worried about happening. I've been in that situation before with other things. I haven't seen any Cambridge speakers on eBay either. It could be a while before I get the money for the center. I've still got to buy a receiver, and a sub. I also had a small accident with my car that I've got to fix, and I have no idea how much that's going to cost me.

It sounds like maybe I should get a center after all. In that case I might need to go with the pioneers.
Pioneers are great speakers for their price.

You want to save come money you could go with the SP-BS22-LR's and a subwoofer first, and then add the towers and center later and move the bookshelf speakers to the surround location. Matching surrounds is not as important as a front 3 matching. So you can even use a a different front 3 other than the Pioneers.

HT's need a subwoofer as towers don't offer as much bass by themselves

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1521276/best-floor-standing-speakers-under-350#post_24449897

Pioneers are great speakers for their price.

You want to save come money you could go with the SP-BS22-LR's and a subwoofer first, and then add the towers and center later and move the bookshelf speakers to the surround location. Matching surrounds is not as important as a front 3 matching. So you can even use a a different front 3 other than the Pioneers.

HT's need a subwoofer as towers don't offer as much bass by themselves

I'm really leaning towards the Pioneers now. I don't think I'll be disappointed either way. No matter what I pick they're going to sound better than the TV. 

I thought about going with the bookshelf speakers first, but I'd still have to buy stands, and I think the towers are more aesthetically pleasing. I'm trying to make my area look as nice as possible. Due to the layout of my room one of my speakers has to sit in front of an entertainment center, and the other next to a fireplace. It's going to look a little awkward so I'm trying to lessen that as much as possible. I've attached a picture for reference. I plan to put one speaker just to the right of the little TV in the entertainment center, the other to the left of the fireplace where my guitar is, and the center (if I buy it at the same time) directly under the TV on the top shelf of my TV stand. Ever seen any set up like that? I hope they don't look too terribly out of place.  

I figured the sub was pretty much mandatory. I'm looking at getting the Dayton Sub-1200, but they're saying they're going to be out of stock until May so I'm not sure what I'm going to do there. I don't have much room left in my budget for a sub. 

·
Registered
9,280 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1521276/best-floor-standing-speakers-under-350#post_24446966

Good choice but where are you going to find them for that price there are no sales currently cause all I see them is for $319.99 each.

Hi crazyrob425, P363 is on sale now @ Fry's for $107 each with free shipping (Limited 2 per household).

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin  /t/1521276/best-floor-standing-speakers-under-350#post_24450787

Hi crazyrob425, P363 is on sale now @ Fry's for $107 each with free shipping (Limited 2 per household).

OP, I would recommend buying these, for $214 shipped, this is hard to beat.

·
Registered
19,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLSTV  /t/1521276/best-floor-standing-speakers-under-350#post_24450624

My question is - how do you plan to place the towers?

I read your projected placement - however, seems like you are going to get a lot

of cancelled sound, and reflections

Infinity is good for the price - however, it looks to be a bit much for that placement

Your call

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1521276/best-floor-standing-speakers-under-350#post_24450832

OP, I would recommend buying these, for $214 shipped, this is hard to beat.
Yeah but then when he wants to finish building his home theater the matching center the PC351 is $275.95

While the Inifinity's are nice speakers BUT the added cost of when he wants to get a center is HUGE!!!!!!

Look at the whole picture guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLSTV  /t/1521276/best-floor-standing-speakers-under-350#post_24450624

I'm really leaning towards the Pioneers now. I don't think I'll be disappointed either way. No matter what I pick they're going to sound better than the TV. 

I thought about going with the bookshelf speakers first, but I'd still have to buy stands, and I think the towers are more aesthetically pleasing. I'm trying to make my area look as nice as possible. Due to the layout of my room one of my speakers has to sit in front of an entertainment center, and the other next to a fireplace. It's going to look a little awkward so I'm trying to lessen that as much as possible. I've attached a picture for reference. I plan to put one speaker just to the right of the little TV in the entertainment center, the other to the left of the fireplace where my guitar is, and the center (if I buy it at the same time) directly under the TV on the top shelf of my TV stand. Ever seen any set up like that? I hope they don't look too terribly out of place.  

I figured the sub was pretty much mandatory. I'm looking at getting the Dayton Sub-1200, but they're saying they're going to be out of stock until May so I'm not sure what I'm going to do there. I don't have much room left in my budget for a sub. 
TV in the corner really kills the ability to to properly set up your room for sound. Your proposed setup seems solid but TV's in the corner are not the best way to go in HT's.

The Dayton SUb-1200 is a great budget option you can try other budget options like the Sub-1500 or Bic F12

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1521276/best-floor-standing-speakers-under-350#post_24450994

Yeah but then when he wants to finish building his home theater the matching center the PC351 is $275.95

While the Inifinity's are nice speakers BUT the added cost of when he wants to get a center is HUGE!!!!!!

Look at the whole picture guys

I regularly see the center on sale for $199, but to make this jump into a better quality speaker is advantageous.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1521276/best-floor-standing-speakers-under-350#post_24451035

I regularly see the center on sale for $199, but to make this jump into a better quality speaker is advantageous.
People made the same argument with the Energy RC-10's telling those don't worry the RC-LCR will go down in price, there will be a sale. Yeah there was a sale for one day at $300 because a guy bought all of the stock and then upped the price to $450 now they are sitting at $600 last time I checked.

If he was looking for stereo set-up this would be a different story he is looking to build a hometheater on a budget. Will he people able to hear the difference in quality versus the money spent? I doubt it.

Besides look at his setup there the F is he going to properly place the towers.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
The Infinity 363 is "in store only" as well. So, unless he has a Fry's around the decision is rather easy. Go with the Pioneer bookshelves. You won't be disappointed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts