AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I am wondering whether I could get some recommendations on for two floor standing speakers. I am going for two channel system. I live in a ~800 sq ft apartment and I do not plan to buy a subwoofer. I have a $800 budget for the pair of speakers. I listen to a lot of latin music, ranging from spanish rock to music with a lot of percussion instruments like salsa. I will also use them to play top 40 american music when I have friends over, and watch TV. I am hoping I could get speakers that do not really need a subwoofer to be able to reproduce the low frequency sounds in my music. I have never many any such purchase. I am very interested in any suggestions people here might have! Hopefully I can narrow down my search and go listen to the speakers you guys suggest.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
You're really not going to be able to get full range speakers in this price range that are good...

I would get a pair of subs, like the Lava LSP10 for $500, then set a pair of $250 Behringer 2301P monitors on top of the subs. You could simply cut and place a of foam in between the two to decouple the speakers. This will be vastly superior to any floorstander in this price range. You will also be able to turn your bass down, which should be a big factor with you being in a apartment.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
How's about a pair of used LaScalas?

I've got a single LaScala, two of it's bigger brothers (Jubilee's) and two of THEIR bigger brothers (MWM's) in my little apartment.

For the sake of full disclosure, the MWM's are only two (single sized) bass bins and not the rest of the speaker and, they are being stored in my 2nd bedroom.

The LaScala and Jubilee's are across the wall in the living room.

I only say that for those who say a LaScala is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too big/loud for an apartment..... bah humbug, no it isn't.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
La Scalas are nice but he would have to find a hell of a deal to get them for $800. That just isn't going to happen. If he is lucky he might be able to get a deal on some Cornwalls for 800 though.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Look at the Klipsch KG series. I have the KG3.5, 4.2 and 4.5 and they all go down to 30 Hz, even though the specs only list 34 or 36. I dont even use a sub with them for 2ch music. You also dont need a powerful amp/receiver to drive them.

You can first look at the local craigslist. They go anywhere from $200-300/pair. Great bang for the buck. Make sure they are in good shape without any foam replaced for the woofers and also listen to them. They have wood veneers so if you are a handy guy and dont like the color, you can just sand them and stain/paint them your color of choice. The 4.2's a bit older than the 3.5/4.5. So you might find the 3.5/4.5 in a better shape. But I did find a very good pair of 4.2 locally for $275 with the original box.

You can go to the Klipsch owners thread and browse though all my posts in the last 2 weeks or so, There are also many pictures.

Go to "discontinued models" in Klipsch web site for specs.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Check with Wally at Underwood Hifi. He had some closeout ERA D10 and D12 towers that would be in your price range.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was in almost your exact same situation recently. I found a pair of used Definitive Technology BP7004s for slightly more than your price range. They have built-in powered subwoofers with a volume control for the subwoofer, which means you won't need a separate subwoofer.

For slightly less than $800, ebay lists several Definitive BP7006 speakers (they're a step down from the 7004 but also have the built-in powered subwoofers) and you might be able to find them locally so you don't have to deal with shipping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All, I live in Illinois. It is pretty easy for me to check out Saturday Audio Exchange or Music Direct in Chicago.

I will try to track most of the ones list here. I found the review on the Monitor Audio pretty interesting/tempting.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I'd check for used definitive technology BP series possibly. They mostly have a powered subwoofer built in and you can adjust the volume on it for the neighbors. You can probably find some in your price range (if you like the sound)

I love the monitor audio suggestion also

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.