AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys ... I need your experience, knowledge and wisdom here if you please...

I am trying to get a home theatre system but I will use it mostly for music, about 80% of time. I have set my mind on Yamaha RX-A1000 and now I have to decide for a pair of floorstand speakers. Now I just want to buy the front ones (maybe the central) ... and I have about 800-1000$ Later I will the surround ones.. I was looking at Klipsch ... but from reviews it seems that they have a metallic sound (because of their Klipsch horn technology) .... which I do not think I will like.

Here are some things I have to keep in mind in my decision:
  • I have a small room 12 x 12 feet
  • I have to listen to low volume ... I have neighbors
  • I listen to all types of music from Country to Classics .. but 70% is Pop and Soft Rock
  • I like the warm sound type ... I do NOT like metalic or high mids
  • they will be powered by Yamaha RX-A1000
  • I need something with a good bass since I will NOT get a sub

Right now I am looking at B&W ... what do you think ? Also ... I live in a small town ... I do not have hi-fi shops around to go try them out and see how they sound ... so I am blind in my shopping ... but I trust you guys that you would be my ears. Thank you ... I appreciate all replays ...

·
Registered
29,109 Posts
The PSB speakers recommended are good. The larger T65 on clearance would be a good purchase too.

I like Energy RC speakers myself. They're not bright or fatiguing at all but have nice detail.The RC-50 is on clearance for about $650/pr. But finding a matching center may be a little tough. Not a fan of Klipsch or Polk speakers. A little bright for my taste.

The Jamo C605 or C607 may suit you too. Also check speakers from Paradigm, Monitor Audio, Def Tech, Aperion, Ascend and others. You really need to get out and listen to as many speakers are you can. Others will definitely chime in with their favorites.

Since your room is only 12 x 12 bookshelf speakers would work too. Look at speakers like the NHT Classic Three or Ascend Sierra.
http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/pro...SRM1/srm1.html
http://www.listenup.com/NHT+Classic+...cThree-p-.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks afrogt ... so you are saying psb are not so bright ? Paradigm do not sell online ... I have no clue of their price. Bookshelf out of question since I will move my system in 2 years in livingroom.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no sub sounds more natural ... sub is a compromise .... because makes the low frec sound to come only one direction --> of the sub..... instead of 2 (stereo case) or 5 (in case of 5.1).

hey what do you all think about jamo s606?

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danitim77 /forum/post/19526666

no sub sounds more natural ... sub is a compromise .... because makes the low frec sound to come only one direction --> of the sub..... instead of 2 (stereo case) or 5 (in case of 5.1).

You can hear the direction of, say, 20-60Hz sound frequencies? I certainly can't

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
surround system ... is all about the direction of the sound. Closer to reality the sound is ... better experience you have in your living room. In realitiy you do not have a sub ... do you ? ... by ex: it is better to have 5 large speakers than 5 small ones plus the sub

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh ... and something else ... I do not think are humans that can really hear anything below 80 HZ ... the 20-60 HZ is just marketing ... You would be surprised to find out that most of the people over 20 years old do not hear anything over 18 khz

·
Premium Member
136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danitim77 /forum/post/19526711

surround system ... is all about the direction of the sound. Closer to reality the sound is ... better experience you have in your living room. In realitiy you do not have a sub ... do you ? ... by ex: it is better to have 5 large speakers than 5 small ones plus the sub

Do all the sounds you hear in reality come from tower speakers?

You have a lot to learn about how sound works and by extension how speakers and home theater systems in general work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danitim77 /forum/post/19526730

oh ... and something else ... I do not think are humans that can really hear anything below 80 HZ ... the 20-60 HZ is just marketing ... You would be surprised to find out that most of the people over 20 years old do not hear anything over 18 khz

Now I'm starting to think you are just a troll...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Grifter you are a troll !!! I never said the sound in a room comes only from the speakers .... it is hard to explane to a troll like you
... You must be inlove with your sub ... but remeber ... sub is a compromise !!! just read about theatre sound configuration ... you will see the that their purpose is that the low frec would come out from ever speaker instead of a big sub ... just because it is more natural that way ... this is why they have big speakers
... troll !

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gryfter .... it is the same way in concert sound configuration ... you will never find a sub there ... rather you will find big speakers that would reproduce low frec in left and right ... just read more about it ... you will undertand

1 - 20 of 47 Posts