AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just got the Onkyo NR609 from Frys (299$). Now, I am excited and I want matching floorstanding speakers.

My preferences:

What I listen: MOVIES and cable (95%), MUSIC(5% - pop, rock, electronic).
My Room Size: 12'' x 18'' (I am positioned in the 12'' length (attached picture).
What I like: Having good Bass and midrange response, (so at least I wouldn't have to get the subwoofer, maybe later, but not for now - and in my apartment I have neighbors).
My Budget: 700$ for the PAIR. But I am still a little flexible.

Some of the speakers I am considering:
  • Polk Audio TSi500 (from NewEgg)
  • Energy CF-70
  • Jamo C607
  • Polk Audio Monitor 70
  • JBL ES80
  • JBL L880

What would you suggest from this list (or something else) to get online or in-store (I live in Bay Area,CA).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
29,311 Posts
Best Buy doesn't carry Jamo at all and the Rti12 is at least 3-4 years old or more. You wont find either at Best Buy.

I would still get the Jamo C607. But you have to realize speaker selection is a listener preference. My next set of speakers will be Jamo C607 or C807.

The Rti12 might be more to your liking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can definitely fix my budget for Polk RTiA7's. I just want the best sounding speaker for movies, where I wouldn't need a sub as much.

And you were right afrogt, they didn't have those speakers at bestbuy (I saw your message right that I came back). LOL!

I just auditioned Definitive Technology BP-8020's, and they do have a sub too. I can go for them from http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.asp...EFBP8020ST-OPN , but they may fire sound to the rear and sides, which for me, the speaker are going to sit close to the rear wall. So I don't know if that would be much of an issue for the sound.

So at the end, which one of these four should I go for? (considering that the price difference between them is not that much of an issue for me):

Jamo C607 (750$)

Polk RtiA7 (800$)

Polk Rti12 (743$)

Definitive Technology BP-8020 (958$)

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by return_of_hate /forum/post/0

I can definitely fix my budget for Polk RTiA7's. I just want the best sounding speaker for movies, where I wouldn't need a sub as much.

And you were right afrogt, they didn't have those speakers at bestbuy (I saw your message right that I came back). LOL!

I just auditioned Definitive Technology BP-8020's, and they do have a sub too. I can go for them from http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.asp...EFBP8020ST-OPN , but they may fire sound to the rear and sides, which for me, the speaker are going to sit close to the rear wall. So I don't know if that would be much of an issue for the sound.

So at the end, which one of these four should I go for? (considering that the price difference between them is not that much of an issue for me):

Jamo C607 (750$)

Polk RtiA7 (800$)

Polk Rti12 (743$)

Definitive Technology BP-8020 (958$)

The rti12's have the same specs as RtiA9 just cosmetically different.so I would rule out the rtiA7's

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/20906506

The rti12's have the same specs as RtiA9 just cosmetically different.so I would rule out the rtiA7's

So the options now are:

Jamo C607 (750$)

Polk Rti12 (743$)

Definitive Technology BP-8020 (958$) - (EDIT: found one new on ebay for 880$ now)

Please let me know if Rti12's are better than Def Tech BP-8020 or not ???? And is the bass of Rti12 as good as Def Tech BP-8020's or not ?

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by return_of_hate /forum/post/20908533

So the options now are:

Jamo C607 (750$)

Polk Rti12 (743$)

Definitive Technology BP-8020 (958$) - (EDIT: found one new on ebay for 880$ now)

Please let me know if Rti12's are better than Def Tech BP-8020 or not ???? And is the bass of Rti12 as good as Def Tech BP-8020's or not ?

hi return of hate......can u please help me finding right speaker set for onkyo tx-nr809 and above...?

what about klipsch,B&W,infinity,definitive technology etc....?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUE AUDIOPHILE /forum/post/20908756

hi return of hate......can u please help me finding right speaker set for onkyo tx-nr809 and above...?

what about klipsch,B&W,infinity,definitive technology etc....?

I am a beginner myself. I don't know that much, that's why I am asking in this post to get help. You may wanna do the same.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just have to put in my 2 cents worth. I can't imagine that any modern amp (in this price range) is going to require a specific set of speakers to reach its potential. I am not being snobbish (about the price) since my own equipment is modestly priced. FAR more important is to visit a few AV stores to audition the speakers yourself and decide which ones please your ear. (Take along one of your favorite CD's).

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by return_of_hate /forum/post/20908533

So the options now are:

Jamo C607 (750$)

Polk Rti12 (743$)

I dont think the def tech's should be an option, they're bipolar. From you picture you have your speakers right against the wall, a bipolar speaker needs space for the rear wave. The rear of the speaker needs to be at least a foot from the wall.

The RTi12 will give you the most bass either way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/20909506

I dont think the def tech's should be an option, they're bipolar. From you picture you have your speakers right against the wall, a bipolar speaker needs space for the rear wave. The rear of the speaker needs to be at least a foot from the wall.

The RTi12 will give you the most bass either way.

You are right, my speakers are going to be close to the wall (although I can put up like 8 inches behind them). They guy at Bestbuy told me that my receiver can automatically tune itself (Audessey) so that everything would be OK at the end.

Anyway, I was totally determined to buy the RTi12's yesterday until I saw some comments regarding the need of these speakers for an amp. My receiver has 100 wpc, so I guess I would not be able to enjoy the bass as these speakers are intended to provide (anyway, I can never increase the volume to very high since I am in an apartment). I've heard that these speakers shine with high power. This concerns me a little bit, that maybe these speakers will not provide me a good bass. For example, other speakers with higher sensitivities might be better I guess ?

Is my concern valid or not ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by return_of_hate /forum/post/20913752

You are right, my speakers are going to be close to the wall (although I can put up like 8 inches behind them). They guy at Bestbuy told me that my receiver can automatically tune itself (Audessey) so that everything would be OK at the end.

Dont listen to anyone at best buy. Audessey can not stop the rear wave from coming out of those def techs. If you cant give them room to breathe, cross them off your list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by return_of_hate /forum/post/20913752

Anyway, I was totally determined to buy the RTi12's yesterday until I saw some comments regarding the need of these speakers for an amp. My receiver has 100 wpc, so I guess I would not be able to enjoy the bass as these speakers are intended to provide (anyway, I can never increase the volume to very high since I am in an apartment). I've heard that these speakers shine with high power. This concerns me a little bit, that maybe these speakers will not provide me a good bass. For example, other speakers with higher sensitivities might be better I guess ?

Is my concern valid or not ?

Thanks.

I wouldnt worry to much about an amp if you never intend to really crank the volume. You will get bass in your room.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/20919092

Not recommended they are 4 ohm speakers.... The 609 is best with 6-8 ohm speakers....

Get the rti 12's and you'll be golden

thanks! I was hoping it could drive the LSi because I like the quality of construction.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Try looking for the klipsch synergy F-30 towers on sale if you can. They go on sale at bestbuy and like stores all the time, Retail of $1300 per pair here in canada, i paid $600 for both on some sick sale at BB. Although i wanted to go with a higher level pair of towers, this deal was too good for me to pass up, and if you like horn loaded speakers you'll love them. They are above your budget, but like I said, klipsch go on sale all the time

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.