AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the newbie questions, but I am curious...

Imagine I had access to a movie theater, a fat wallet, and a stack of DVD's. What equipment could I use to get the best picture on that size screen with the low res DVD media?

Some kind of PC-DVD setup and a DigitalProjection Lightning?

Line-doubling devices? With price not a factor what is possible?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
What fun!

Price no factor? Easy...

Get a Terenex processor (you might even get a "cheapie" Terenex-1 from AVScience for less than $35K), and run it at native resolution out to the new QXGA D-ILA to cast visions of wonder of your 40-50 foot movie screen.

Sure, it would be a shame to be using "only" DVD on that set-up, but certainly DVDs have never looked better....or bigger.

Price? Just over $200,019.95 (*assuming that the DVD is $19.95).

:D

By the way, is this a hypothetical or real situation?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice Mark!

Reminds me of a joke I heard once. A couple was in a museum wondering how old a rock was. Janitor overheard them and said 39,000,012 years. Couple asks how they knew it that precisely. Janitor says "Don't know but when I started 12 years ago they said it was 39 million years old."

-- Dieter

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
you're serious ? let's go :

screen: HHall 25ft curved gain 2.0 2.35:1 screen ( constant height ), microperforated $ 4,000

3DLP 5000 ANSI Digital projection /Christie XGA with 16:9 and 2.35 lenses $35,000 + $2500

extra Xenon lamp $1000

32 Quinette seats on 4 levels (floor +3 levels ) $8,000

Cinematrix DVD Player modified with SDI output and VIGATEC SDI input scaler $1300+$4000

JBL CInema speakers: 3x4675C THX, 6 4645C subwoofers, 16 8340 subwoofers $ 14,000

QSC DCA power amps: 3x3422 for the fronts, 4x1644 for surrounds, 3x3422 for the subs ( total of 20,000watts +/-) $ 11,000

cables and wires $1500

Onkyo THX controler or TAG $5000

BSS processors FB366 2x $3500

voilÃ* !

www.qscaudio.com
www.jblpro.com
www.harknesshall.com
www.quinette.fr

etc

easy to search

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have posted something similar to this several month ago, but I bring it up again because it is my ultimate pipe dream.

I went to see Casablanca a couple of years back at a new theater. I love this movie and was excited to see it on the big screen. My experience was ruined by the terrible image quality and the so-called projectionist stopping the movie before the classic last line. Having used data projection for DVD’s, I began to think would it not be neat to run a theater that shows classics and modern classics on the format they were intended with better sound and picture quality. I even priced a 4 screen theater that has been dormant for about 5 years to begin estimating the monumental costs involved.

I think this could be a popular and unique attraction and with the right prices and movies even be profitable.

Now I know there are incredible licensing hurdles and technological hurdles, which is why every few months I ask the guru’s of the AVSforum to keep informed on what is possible.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Blind,

Where are you located? More importantly, where is the theater? I want to be one of your first customers.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
well, hope the information I listed can help :confused:

now, the legal issue with dvd is enormous I would think, unless majors agree to allow you to do so AND that you give them a %. I doubt it would be legal though. even "cinema club" once a week don't use dvd.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Although I have not contacted any distributors, there are plenty of theaters that still show the old reels and my thought is to get in contact with them to see what the legal requirements would be. Unfortunately, I have no contacts and I am not even sure who the major players are yet. What stopped me from digging in farther was being told that the tech was not good enough yet and not being able to find any links on the web.

(btw: it is a long trip from NC to Wisconsin... sorry)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.