AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have a Sony flat screen 36" CRT (4:3). Wanted to get a widescreen 50-56" TV. Looking at plasma, RPDLP/LCD, LYCOS or LCD. Very concerned about sun glare and reflections on screen in my room. Any overall advice?

·
Registered
15,520 Posts
Plasma, LCD, DLP, and LCOS would all be fine in your room, but DILA (JVC's LCOS) is the brightest of them all. If you do the majority of your viewing during the day in the bright room, definitely take a look at the DILAs (they are currently 720p, but will be coming out soon with 1080p sets). If, however, you actually do the majority of your viewing at night, I would go with DLP (if you do not see rainbows) since it is bright enough during the day and has better black levels than DILA for night-time viewing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
LCD Flat-Panel would be your best bet. They are very bright & have minimal problems with reflections/light. Look at the Sharp Aquos.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I had been told in various stores like Sears and Best Buy to look at LCD to best handle reflections. Was not certain of their expertise, though. From a RPLCD, I was very impressed with the Panasonic 52lcx65, which was next to both the Samsung DLP's and Sony RPLCD models. Much brighter and clearer picture from my viewpoint. The Sharp LCD was nice as well. Clearly, the plasma had the most wow effect, but seemed to reflect all the local store lighting the worst. have never seen the lycos JVC models yet, so will have to review.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Quote:
have never seen the lycos JVC models yet, so will have to review.
Really missing something! ;)

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce
I would agree, but many stores don't show the LCoS in the best light. (no pun intended) which is unfortunate. Sales of the Sonys and Sammies I'm sure have a lot to do with that. And I have a Sony, and can at least be that objective.. :)

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
:) seanybear35

You need to get clear with the technology - I think you may have confused LCD's.

An LCD FP like the Sharp Aquous has next to Zero screen glare/reflection as a previous poster recommended. This LCD comes in size limited up to 45-46" presently and typically cost more for panels there equivalent. I own the 32" and I think it's fantastic and I have it in a room with bright daylighting with 10-12' windows. I cannot imagine a better PQ in HD.

However, I'm replacing it with a 6768 Samsung 1080P DLP as it has a quality anti-glare screen and a brightness, CR and Sharpness levels that can handle that room and the Sharp goes in the bedroom.

The other LCD your considering is RPTV totally different and does not possess tha anti-reflective properties or daylight viewing that the Sharp FP can in fact some models are so reflective you could shave in them. I'm not panning those LCD's but I've spent the past 9 months trying to find a set that can handle those lighting conditions for a HT size TV and the 26 reviews I've observed of the new Sammy 1080P's will meet my needs. JVC and most competitors will be debuting theirs in the months to come. Good Luck! :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was always my understanding that both LCD panel and RPLCD had similar non-reflective screens, or at least much better that traditional plasma sets. The Sharp 45" seemed very expensive in comparison, so I was more looking at the rear projection models. Do you know what changes in the new Sammy 1080P's to change the glare properties? or does the increase in resolution somehow over-compensate?

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
As they are two totally different technologies they have different glare and yes the LCD FP's cost considerably more for smaller size presently.

The only way to judge those properties is to visit the stores to compare. I did my comparisons on the Sammy based upon the 6163 and it had very little glare compared to competitors and the reviews that have come in they have preserved that positive trait.

Go to the stores and judge for yourself under light conditions where store light may reflect. It's pretty obvious that if you can see yourself or other reflections in the store in a controlled environment then it will be much worse in your house.

I'm not trying to play favorites but in my 7 months of visiting numerous stores repeatedly I found the Sammy the best to handle my brightly lit room at a large size RPTV - an the new one has been reported with Plasma Quality at a third the price for a set over 60".

We don't know if the Sony sxrd will be reflective or not as it's still several months away from comparing or considering. The Sony Qualia 006 which is the bar for most PQ standards now has had reports of glare but people pay so much and love it that they tolerate it overtime to have one of the finest PQ sets on the planet but at a $13K price premium. Just take your time and go visit and compare - but Samsung is the only one with a 1080P right now with Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Hitachi, Panny and of course JVC on deck. Good Luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a fairly bright living room (several big picture windows without shades/blinds). I had a Panasonic 60" LCD for a few days before exchanging because it was too big. I got a Sony 55" A20 LCD....it was MUCH brighter than the Panasonic. Picture looks great almost all day long. Highly recommend for a bright room.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have the new 60" A20 and my wife can't stop talking about how the light doesn't reflect off the screen like it did on our old Toshiba CRT screen. The Sony also has a very bright screen for daytime viewing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the feedback. I only had enough room (in a pre-cut out area) for a TV about 49" wide. I looked at the Sony A20, but it still had side speakers and would not fit. Have not seen the new Sony A10 yet, so it might be better. Also, what model Panasonic did you try? The latest Panasonic lcx65 models seem to me to be as bright as the Sony TVs, which surprised me as I have been a Sony fan for sometime.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
motomoto

I think that's fantastic news if Crutch isn't pulling our leg since that's about 2 months early. That tightens things up. I'm shocked that they kept that wrap around non-removable SS Speakers as most people disliked that design.

Perhaps they are keeping the previous design to cut costs and expedite bringing it to market as that is Sony's #1 problem right now are losses. They just revised profits downward to about $285 Million this year while Samsung will have a profit exceeding 10 Billion which is why they are partnered in 24,000 patents right now.

It good news if their new CEO could get this thing to market a few months in advance to heat up 1080P competition further. The price appears to be less than expected also at $5K for 60".

Wow the choices start getting tougher here on out. :D

·
Registered
836 Posts
The price is still hefty for a first generation set that doesn't have a feed yet for the higher resolution that it supports. I paid almost half of what Crutchfield is asking for the new set. I'm sure it will be discounted about 20% once the new set is out of a month or two but who wants to wait and pay more money for similiar technology.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce
Hey VIDEOBRUCE,

I have a LYCOS at home, that is my dog [boy], of course. :D Just kiddin' on the dog part (LOL).

-- Matthew

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.