AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

best for DVDs?

846 views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  theinvid 
#1 ·
so...what would be a great FP for DVD watching?

budget is about 1500

also would like to hook the PC up to it for the occasional pc game.

thanks in advance....

i'd like to order one asap

#2 ·
I went with the H31 to accompany my Denon 2900. I wish I would have gone with the H57 because I am more sensitive to SDE than I thought I was. The H57 can be found for slightly above your budget. If you are not sensitive to SDE, are able to sit back 1.7-2.0 times your screen size, then the H31 is a great unit. If you have a really good 480P player and are not interested in upgrading it and only watching DVD movies then you probably do not need anything more than the H31 or H57. I am strictly using my H31 for DVD viewing.

Good luck!

#7 ·
You need to see one first, to be sure you're not bothered by the SDE and motion artifacts of the 4805. Magnolia Home Threater (or Magnolia Audio Video stores) are Infocus dealers. If there's one in your area, check it out. It may save you some grief later.

Optoma does a better job of handling motion artifacts than Infocus does (the H31 vs. the 4805, for example). If you can swing it, the H57 would be a better choice (higher resolution is better, even for just watching DVDs).

#8 ·
the higher res is better even for DVD's? i thought DVD's were relatively low res. i'm sure i'm showing my ignorance.

i suppose i could squeeze out that xtra 500 IF it's worth the 500 more.

there are no stores in this town that have projectors on display.

except for one...and it had some 4k projector...which ofcourse i can't afford.

anyone in lafayette, la own one of these affordable projectors that wouldn't mind showing it to me? :) (kinda doubt it though...i'm not in a major metropolitan area)

#9 ·
The main advantage of a higher resolution projector for dvd playback is that it allows you to sit closer to the screen without seeing screen door effect. If you're sitting 2x with a 480p projector, then this should not be a problem. Personally, I can sit closer than 1.5x and have no problems with screen door effect. In your case, the Infocus 4805 or Optoma H31 should work fine.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking_theater
I have the 4805 and am sitting at 1.6X screen width. The screen door is only visible on bright sections of the screen if I have the projector tightly focused. I can slightly defocus the projector (not majorly affecting sharpness) and remove much of the remaining SDE.
Tolerance for SDE seems to be different for everyone. Someone posted a few weeks ago that at 3X screen width the SDE was bad...of course, I can barely see the screen at 3X screen width :D. This is one of those things everyone needs to see for themselves to see if it bothers them.

#12 ·
With the 4805, I find that SDE starts to become distracting at about the same distance as the inevitable softness of the lo-res DVD medium does...so I wouldn't really get closer SDE or not. I'm at about 1.7x with a Panamorph lens/2.35 setup...so SDE is less prevalent than normal as the mirrors/pixels are slightly smaller.

#13 ·
As a reinforcement of what Ja Phule said, here is a picture of the Coral Reef Adventure DVD (RP91 player via component inputs) taken at 1.4x screen width (106" diagonal screen, MT700 - 1280 x 720).

#15 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.