Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Anyone compare ATI/Gefore/Matrox feeding LT150? What's the best?

Thanks, CKL

------------------

CKL

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
This is the wrong forum for this question, but the consensus in the HTPC forum is the Radeon is the best graphics card.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Hi CKL,

If you have the time and will to test, I can borrow you a GeForce2 and a Radeon DDR. IMO, the GeForce2 (will be now GeForce3) is the best choice.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Depends on if you use HTPC for large screen gaming or not and what CPU you have. Geforce2 will give you more muscle for 3D games whereas Radeon will give you 10 bit imaging (vs. 8 bit for Geforce2) which may be better for movies. Radeon supports both motion compensation and IDCT for lower CPU usage (less CPU horsepower needed for DVD) whereas Geforce2 only supports motion comp. I personally own Geforce2 GTS Pro 64 MB DDR (MSI Starforce 831 for $138 US) and I love mine. Unless you have the 2 cards projecting images side by side, I doubt you could pick one from the other. Geforce2 by far has better, more stable drivers, and support more custom resolution. Granted Radeon can too if you hack registry. Search in HTPC forum and you'll see the numerous complaints about Radeon and ATI player (DVD player that truely brings out the best image on Radeon) flakiness. If you have HTPC stability is very, very important. I mean who wants a blue screen of death or hard crashes in the middle of a movie. Radeon is fairly cheap if you get the LE version ($80 US) but so is the MX Geforce 2. It's a tough choice but you'd be happy with either IMHO.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sadly from an HTPC point of view (and this only) I am a mac owner so it is a bit moot for me - but I would be interestted in knowing if anyone has the Geforce 3 and using it for HTPC somehow ?

It seems to be the best graphics chip at the moment by a long chalk.

cheers

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Geforce3 is like a Geforce2 DVD quality which is very good and imaging wise with more 3D power. Search HTPC for Geforce3.

------------------

Huey ;-]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.