AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for posting previously basically the same message.

But as far as I understand it the new Geforce4 should blow away ATI from the business communities perspective.

For HT their seems to be a marked preference for ATI. Is the Geforce4 TI so new that their simply isn't enough experience on this forum and will powerstrip support it ? One post shows problems with the 4600.

Thanks

Also as my previous post is the Hughes E86 HDTV RECEIVER a reasonable pick for satellite HD as of today ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
ahagen, welcome to the forum. Please read the FAQ. You will find why the Radeon is (far?) superior to the current GF in video quality for HTPC (not gaming).

I have no idea for sat HD - I view OTA HD via ADTV.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So with DirecTV I should connect the Hughes to the S-Video in on the Radeon ?

I believe the Geforce4 will support a video in. although how an S-Video can support the bitrate of 1080i is a bit confusing.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The current FAQ does not mention the Geforce 4. Video In/Out has never been a strong point for Geforce cards. The Geforce 4 does handle Video better than past Geforce but it is a 3D gaming card first. I recently tried a Visiontek Geforce Ti 4600 and could not get the Video In/Out functions to work with either another Btxx8 or Hipix card installed.

When I tried the Video In/Out (without another capture card installed) the picture was very good. I have also tried the Radeon 8500DV and I would say the video was comparable. I am not an expert so I can not give a more objective opinion.

I also played a DVD and I could not tell any difference between the Radeon and the Geforce 4. My Kenwood 5900 DVD player with DCDi did blow them both away though.

I have gotten to a point where I despise Radeon cards because their driver never work right for me. NVidia drivers are almost always rock solid. The Geforce 4 is a 3D gaming first and is more expensive than the Radeon. However, the Radeon has many quirks in setting up and can be fickle if you make any changes to your setup.

Larry

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
ahagen,

Unfortunately I do not believe you will get Direct TV1080I in to any video card that I know of. If your Hughes box has an analog HD output why not just run it directly to your display device. If you are looking to capture 1080I the are only a few costly ways to do this with Direct TV.

Mike

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am not sure I understand this statement,

Quote:
But as far as I understand it the new Geforce4 should blow away ATI from the business communities perspective.
I would agree that the Geforce 4 is beating ati in the gaming but as far as business ATI is beating them on the business in neck as far as price / features for business class machines.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ahagen
Mike

If you are part of the Hipix team I am told there is a Video-Input for the Hipix. Could I use an adapter such as :

http://www.digitalconnection.com/FAQ/HDTV_4.htm

Or Using the adapter I found under: http://www.copperbox.com/lite/xbox.php

Perhaps one solution to get a progressive display from 1080i is to use an XBOX.

The Hipix does have a S-Video input but it is standard def only. The Hipix does do a pretty good job scaling NTSC but has no capture ability for NTSC. It does do a great job of capturing and playing HD but only over the air signals or Dish network via Dish 5000 / Modulation combo.

If I may ask what type of display device do you have?

Mike

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A Mitsubishi X80u. Since it has an internal line doubler I guess 1080i will probably look just as good output directly to the projector as run through the PC. But I won't have the ability to edit the video obviously.

Alex

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The x80u is 1024x768 native meaning anything you put into it will scale to that rez. Worse yet, most HD is 16:9 aspect, this proj is 4:3 which means any 16:9 HD will not use full panel further decreasing your available native rez - there will be "black" bars on the top and/or bottom depending on the setup and these pixels will not be used. Do you watch DVD's on this set up?

Your MatroxG400 is a good vid card, but (now that the gamma is fixed - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=142843 ) the Radeon 8500 may be the vid card you may want. Then get it modded for SDI and mod the sat receiver for SDI.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1. Is there a faq on moding for SDI ?

2. Do you suggest I change projectors ? To what ? The SX5500 seems to be the step up. It has 1365 x 1024.

Now with DVD you have a native res of 720 x 480. (.35 Megapixel) an XGA projector can do .75 Megapixel.

How many pixels is 1080i ? Supposedly roughly 1900 X 1000. But I believe that due to interlacing you are really getting half this amount or 1 Megapixel. So with a 4:3 native I am losing 25% of the pixels. Or net .591 megapixel. Whereas with 1366 x 768 I would be getting 1 full megapixel. If I am correct that the maximum pixels of interlaced 1080i is megapixel. It would seem a 16:9 WXGA projector would be the ideal.

What say you ?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I haven't seen any FAQ re moding for SDI. I don't suggest anything except for seeing whatever you want to buy after doing a large amount of reasearch on the web.

True, DVD is "only" 720x480" interlaced BTW. But interpolation with HTPC is very good. I would try for 1440x960p if I could.

1080i is 1920x1080i, but most displays want progressive, so they deinterlace the signal.

Please don't start the 4:3 proj vs. 16:9 proj war as this is not the point. If you would like to address this, please start another thread and I would be more than willing to respond, or PM me and I will try to help, but just using me as a resource is not a good idea - that's why this forum exists, alot of people who are much smarter in this area than I.

There are alot of very good projectors out there (much better than mine - so don't put too much weight behind anything I post).

It all depends upon what you want. I won't get into all of the ups and downs of each type of proj, but what do you want? HD? Well most of it is 1.85 or 1.78. DVD? Most is 16:9, alot is 2.35 and there is still a large number of 1.33.

Your topic was what video card GF4 or Rad - I'm sorry for taking this thread OT, but I whought you should know all of the other things that effect this decision.

I have sent you PM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.