AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a graphics card for PVR, then to export to my HDtv via component. Gaming is not really a concern. I know that ATI has a great reputation, but the whole macrovision restrictions are offputting.

Is there a consensus on which card is best for video capture, output, & editing of DV? Should I get one card for capture, and another for output?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well, you could go for the Matrox RTX100...

Otherwise, pick up any firewire card and Ulead MediaStudio Pro 7.

(for video editing)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Are you wanting to use the HDTV as the main display, or will it be a secondary display that you only hook up when you need to?

As far as I know... the ATI card's Macrovision limitation only applies to DVDs, unless you have some other source that is coming in macrovision-impaired. But you can defeat this with several different software applications like DVDIdle.

But yes... I would probably get a capture card seperate from the output card. It will probably end up being much cheaper, but the All-In-Wonder cards are a great option as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quite a stupid question, but is the idea that separate cards do the job better than the AIW? I always thought the interactive nature of 3D HQ video game graphics was the reason graphics cards got so powerful. I honestly have no idea what quality of graphics card is needed for HQ PVR. Am I going to get my PVR / DV editing money's worth on the $599 Matrox Parhelia?

Puwaha,

I'm also looking to leave the hookup in tact always. Are you thinking the AIW will provide VCR or better quality PVR?

RCA F38310 38"

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Parhelia isn't a capture card, but more of a Video Editor editting enhancement. It allows 3 different monitors to be run at once. All of them can be used for 3D as well (gaming comes to mind).

A friend of mine bought it specifically for gaming then returned it. The card is probably good enough, but the software companies just haven't made their games to handle that capability elgantly yet.

I have the Matrox 100, and it is a decent capture device. It's strong suit is doing real time editting. It's a pretty high price point if you're just starting. I'd go with something else until your feet got wet.

Good Luck,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.