AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to paint my theater area. Gray on walls and flat black ceiling. Just wondering if anybody had used gray for their own wall color and can recommend a certain color/paint?

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
The darker the better IMO if the room is a dedicated theater and will never be used for anything but lights out viewing. My room is a media room that we use mainly for viewing, but the seating isn’t theater seating and we do use the room for non projection uses. Because of that you want to be able to light the room. Our ceiling is flat black and the walls are a 50% neutral gray. If we are going to entertain in the room we put on a few lights a little brighter than you would in a white room. In a pure black room there is no amount of lights going to make the room feel bright.

A 50% gray .5 gain gray wall will collect half the light reflecting off the screen and that IMO is about the minimum darkness you would want to go with. If a neutral gray is not to your liking then they have grays in all kinds of tints. Neutral gray has a colder feel to it I think.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Looking to paint my theater area. Gray on walls and flat black ceiling. Just wondering if anybody had used gray for their own wall color and can recommend a certain color/paint?
I agree with Bud...the darker the better....especially if you are using a Projector. 14 years ago, when I first painted my room, I went with the Gray that was recommended on the forum back then. As time went on, I realized it was no where near dark enough. I'm now on the third Gray in my room, each time darker, and it's still too light. Grays are hard. I've since added some Black Velvet to my Corner bass traps and out about 5' on the side walls. Now that I have that up, the Gray on the walls look even lighter. I think I am going to paint the walls black up to the seating position, only because they will look like a deep dark gray next to the Black Velvet. :)

My room is dedicated and the ONLY use for it is watching movies, so I can paint it black to help the contrast of the projector.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I used gray on my theater walls (top section, bottom is white all around) and couldn't be happier. Carpet is also gray. Ceiling is matte black. The non-theater side of my basement is also gray, but a lighter variant. No regrets on any of it after two years. Hard to tell see well in the attached pictures, but all paint was Benjamin Moore Regal Select

Theater Walls - 1468 Willow Creek
Rest of basement walls - 1465 Nimbus
Ceiling - Flat Finish Black 547 - this was just the flat black base with nothing mixed in.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I also recommend going dark on celling at least for a good way in front of the screen. Also darkest on the screen wall. Flat is best. Then I go a next shade on walls and again at least the ones nearest the screen. You can lighten as you work your way out but that all depends on the room. I went with a berh paint. Darkest color is called stealth jet, walls are dark granite and ceiling annonomous. That line is an old color though and just found out can't get it anymore. Luckily I was able to get it color matched for my new room since I had some left over from my first build.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
I've seen someone here suggest Rosco Velour Black for ceilings. Looking for a medium to dark gray for walls, probably eggshell because I have kids with fingerprints. Something that will keep its neutral look with lights on, rather than looking green or yellowish.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I'm not sure if it's the best, but I have been really happy with Sherwin Williams 's "Peppercorn" color.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Black front wall and ceiling and gray side and back is a good looking setup. Digital from Behr is a gray with a little on the blue/purple side and looks great with black imho.
Thanks! I'll get a sample of digital. Home Depot couldn't match SW Tricorn, so they gave me Limo Leather in Behr, which is the blackest black they had.

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
I know you asked about gray paint, but if you can get some velvet out to about 4 feet on the screen wall, ceiling/walls it will help a ton.

I went with a super dark flat brown in my room, the parts not covered with velvet anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts