AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I need a hardware suggestion video/card mother board or maybe a NUC amd alternatives?.

Here is a list of what I am looking for

good audio quality, since I'm bit streaming this is a none issue?
bit stream audio (truehd, dtsma, atmos?) going to a Marantz AVR through HDMI.
small form factor
low power 30-90w total system power
wifi AC
4k maybe hdmi 2.0
physical remote control.
no need for internet stream as I have a roku
no need for storage, I have a smb share running
the cheaper the better of course
the faster the better as well.
I would also like to look into steam streaming.

I had sempron/5450 combo before I figure it is much better now but don't know where to start. hope you guys can help

Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My only concern for for hdmi 2.0 is to future proof it since its not an atx build, I cant just change GPUs. In case hollywood decides to release 60hz movies. gaming is just a bonus not really a necessity.

I am most concerned about audio quality, since you didn't mention it i suppose my assumption is correct.

Ive read something about AMD "NUC"s are these worth comparing to intel's offerings? since it is embedded I was planning on using openelec to reduce costs. I've always run windows and I know linux has some driver issues. please advise.

as for broadwell, is going i5 or i3 or Celeron the way to go?

Thank You,

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Good luck making a PC future proof. :)

The Intel NUC will bitstream all audio formats. Openelec is a wonderful way to go. I built my dad one and it is fantastic. Any NUC or PC will do 60 hz.

I have no experience with any NUC other than the Intel.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
For local media, today I'd look at a Chromebox and OpenELEC, or maybe a Raspbery Pi 2 with OpenELEC. Hard to beat the price of either of those.

As for UHD/4K and HDMI 2.0, your only option there is to wait, wait until it's actually here and there are product to buy. That or go overboard and way overbuild/overspend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.