AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering which of the Harmony variants people prefer for DVR.

I haven't found one with a button layout that matches either the Tivo peanut or Dish VIP 722. I've discovered what I like most about these remotes is the two clusters or circularly organized buttons.

These seem to be the most intuitive setup. On ring setup for nav, the other for playback options. So far on the Harmony remotes you really only get one "ring", being the nav. button setup.

That being said, which remote do the folks here prefer from a button layout standpoint for DVR.

I'm considering the 670/680/880 and someone mentioned they liked the 720 for DVR.

Any input thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike

· Registered
462 Posts
The One works well for me with DirecTV. I wish the Guide and Exit buttons were each on their opposite sides, but other than that, it works well. Whatever you get, you'll adapt... I absolutely HATED the DirecTV DVR remote after they parted ways with Tivo a few years ago(the Tivo remote was awesome), but I eventually got used to it.

· Registered
7 Posts
I have the Dish ViP722 box, and I got a Harmony One for Christmas. Everything about the remote pretty much seems to make sense as far as button locations being in logical spots, although not a perfect match to the circular button interface of the Dish remote.

I did have one issue though. the Dish on Demand DVR button in the center of the Dish remote was something I had to teach the One, and then assign to another button.

· Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaMike /forum/post/15419436

These seem to be the most intuitive setup. On ring setup for nav, the other for playback options. So far on the Harmony remotes you really only get one "ring", being the nav. button setup. ...

I'm considering the 670/680/880 and someone mentioned they liked the 720 for DVR. ...

mike,

I agree the two ring setup is great. I have found that my Harmony 890 PRO (Same layout as the 880.) is excellent for my 622. The second "ring" is actually a cluster of buttons closely grouped.

After a day or two I have found the 880 configuration to be nearly as intuitive as the Dish OEM remotes.

· Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlasholly /forum/post/15464495

I did have one issue though. the Dish on Demand DVR button in the center of the Dish remote was something I had to teach the One, and then assign to another button.

Actually the DVR or MyDVR button does not need to be learned - it is in the existing Harmony data base. You need to pick a button to re-assign it to that makes sense for you.

· Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltiDawg /forum/post/15465218

Actually the DVR or MyDVR button does not need to be learned - it is in the existing Harmony data base. You need to pick a button to re-assign it to that makes sense for you.

Oh? I could have sworn I looked up and down that list and couldn't find it. Will need to check again.

· Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlasholly /forum/post/15465945

Oh? I could have sworn I looked up and down that list and couldn't find it. Will need to check again.

IIRC it is listed as "MyDVR"

EDIT: On my 622 Harmony lists it as "DVR" - go figure.

I have not had to learn any key strokes whatsoever on any of my Dish Receivers. I did re-map some keys (such as dVR) to keys that seemed more intuitive to me.

· Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltiDawg /forum/post/15465985

IIRC it is listed as "MyDVR"

EDIT: On my 622 Harmony lists it as "DVR" - go figure.

I have not had to learn any key strokes whatsoever on any of my Dish Receivers. I did re-map some keys (such as dVR) to keys that seemed more intuitive to me.

Well you were certainly right about it being there. It's listed as plain as day, as "DVR" on the list.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.