AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Best HD-DVD 1080p player

1727 Views 17 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  nomunk
hey guys whats the best 1080p HD-DVD player, I plan on getting in few days because I'm tired of the 360 add-on I just want a good stand alone player with the best picture quality
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
I'm very pleased with my A30 and the 10 movies that came with it from Amazon back in Nov. Looks great on my 1080p 55" tv.

hey guys whats the best 1080p HD-DVD player, I plan on getting in few days because I'm tired of the 360 add-on I just want a good stand alone player with the best picture quality[/QUOTE


Depends on what you need/want. If you are looking for 1080p the A35 is a great choice because it will bitstream Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio to a capable receiver, as well as the XA2. The XA2 is considered the highest quality HD DVD player for upscaling SD movies if that is a concern. I would only consider one of those 2 players.

If you weigh cost vs. value the A35 is probably the way to go, right now it can be gotten new for $300 less than the XA2, which is no small amount.

Best? Probably the XA2 if price isn't an issue.
I just purchased my HD A35 last week and the picture quality and sound are excellent. For the price I paid for my HD A1, I could have purchased two HD A35's.


The A35 also upscales very will and when playing the A35 on my JVC LT40FH96, the picture is stunning to say the least.


Randy
thanks for the replies guys, why is the XA2 so high compared to all the other HD-DVD 1080p players, what makes it so superior to the other HD-DVD 1080p players
You can get an Xa2 on eBay for less than $400. I paid $450 new for mine back in Nov. They aren't that expensive anymore.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomunk /forum/post/12882909


thanks for the replies guys, why is the XA2 so high compared to all the other HD-DVD 1080p players, what makes it so superior to the other HD-DVD 1080p players

I think the XA2 is more expensive because it has the Reon processor for upscaling/upconverting. To my knowledge, though, the XA2 is a 1080i player (since it's an older model), while the A35 is a true 1080p player. If you have a TV that deinterlaces 1080i to 1080p, you probably won't see much PQ difference between them, and the XA2 might be better due to the Reon. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
See less See more

Quote:
Originally Posted by tklivory /forum/post/12889528


I think the XA2 is more expensive because it has the Reon processor for upscaling/upconverting. To my knowledge, though, the XA2 is a 1080i player (since it's an older model), while the A35 is a true 1080p player. If you have a TV that deinterlaces 1080i to 1080p, you probably won't see much PQ difference between them, and the XA2 might be better due to the Reon. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.


yea something is definately wrong, because the Xa2 is the most expensive HD-DVD player so I doubt if it only outputs to 1080i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tklivory /forum/post/12889528


I think the XA2 is more expensive because it has the Reon processor for upscaling/upconverting. To my knowledge, though, the XA2 is a 1080i player (since it's an older model), while the A35 is a true 1080p player. If you have a TV that deinterlaces 1080i to 1080p, you probably won't see much PQ difference between them, and the XA2 might be better due to the Reon. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

The XA2 is a 1080p player, no question about it! It can do 1080p/24fps too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tklivory /forum/post/12889528


I think the XA2 is more expensive because it has the Reon processor for upscaling/upconverting. To my knowledge, though, the XA2 is a 1080i player (since it's an older model), while the A35 is a true 1080p player. If you have a TV that deinterlaces 1080i to 1080p, you probably won't see much PQ difference between them, and the XA2 might be better due to the Reon. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

With all due respect...You are wrong. The XA2 was Toshiba's first 1080p player and also the only one to do 1080/p60 properly. You are correct about the Reon processor adding to the price. Plus, in the build quality department, the XA2 is as solid as a Tonka truck.


Edit: Sorry, Claw...I didn't see that you responded to this already.
XA2. (That's a period after XA2)


My personal opinion is that the A3X series is prone to disc errors. I had an XA1 and now have 3 XA2s which have NEVER EVER given me a disc error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Nut /forum/post/12894350


XA2. (That's a period after XA2)


My personal opinion is that the A3X series is prone to disc errors. I had an XA1 and now have 3 XA2s which have NEVER EVER given me a disc error.

HT Nut, I'd love to have 2 backup XA2s!


I'll echo what you said, as well. My A2 has only given me one error, the XA2 has given me none and my ex-A35 gave me so many errors that I lost track.


I'm going to buy a UPS for my HT. I live in the lightning capital of the US and I would love to have my XA2 last for many years. I'll say it again, the XA2 is the greatest CE component I have ever purchased. The many Tivos I have owned are a close second.
For 1080p24 from a HD-DVD disk, there is no reason to spend more than $199 for an HD-A30, you don't need an expensive video processor if you are not scaling the resolution. Of course you don't need 1080p24 unless you have a 120Hz LCD display or projector, or the Pioneer Kuro plasma that does 72Hz.


For another $229 you can get a standalone Oppo upconverting DVD player that outperforms even the really pricey Reon HQV video processors in the high-end HD-DVD players.


Not that any of the advice you have been given is bad - but the latest Toshiba pricing has changed the economics considerably, mid-priced HD-DVD is now cheaper than a high-end upconverting player.


Personally I prefer less expensive components that I can upgrade one at a time. I have three HDMI inputs that I use for seperate HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and HD TiVo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower /forum/post/12894807


HT Nut, I'd love to have 2 backup XA2s!


I'll echo what you said, as well. My A2 has only given me one error, the XA2 has given me none and my ex-A35 gave me so many errors that I lost track.


I'm going to buy a UPS for my HT. I live in the lightning capital of the US and I would love to have my XA2 last for many years. I'll say it again, the XA2 is the greatest CE component I have ever purchased. The many Tivos I have owned are a close second.

I have two of those XA2s hooked up with a third in a box just in case.


I have three Series 3 Tivos for HD (lifetimed) and four DirecTivos for SD. I have one DirecTivo backup. MRV on the Tivos allows my lovely wife access to a whole crapload of tuners.


Between the Tivos and HD DVD with a Panny BD10 holdover until Blu gets its act together, I have all the HD I care to watch and then some.
HD-A35 currently $263 with 7 free movies on Amazon and is the #3 top selling of all dvd players.
For the op....I'm a big fan of the X-A2. Mine has been bullet proof for the past 7 months. I believe that Robert of Value Electronics still has the 5 free HD DVD program still running.

Note to Will Munshower-

I'm on the west coast of Florida and what serves for electricity here, is also crap.

Allow me to recommend the APC ups. To date my APC (J15) has saved the bulb on my projector no less than four times.

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S /forum/post/12896646


For the op....I'm a big fan of the X-A2. Mine has been bullet proof for the past 7 months. I believe that Robert of Value Electronics still has the 5 free HD DVD program still running.

Note to Will Munshower-

I'm on the west coast of Florida and what serves for electricity here, is also crap.

Allow me to recommend the APC ups. To date my APC (J15) has saved the bulb on my projector no less than four times.

Tony

Thanks Tony, I will look into it. I have lost so many devices to our lightning situation. I'm sure I don't need to tell you about it. Every time I've had a strike, its never been just one device damaged, once I lost every NIC and router/switch. The price we pay to be warm year round...Will
I do really appreciate all the replies guys, I think I'm gonna get the A35 today instead of the XA2
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top