AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Well, first off, I was planning on getting the VT25, but due to black level rising rumors in the 2010 plasmas as well, Im considering a HD projector.

My first question is... Are HD projectors better than plasmas?

My second question is... What is the best HD projector for not more than $5000.

Thanks AVS

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
JVC RS20 if you can find one should definitely get you the image your after with that budget. Not sure of newer RS25 prices but you may be within price range. PM Jason and check it out. But either of these would perform very well.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstosity12 /forum/post/18262824

Hi

Well, first off, I was planning on getting the VT25, but due to black level rising rumors in the 2010 plasmas as well, Im considering a HD projector.

Thanks AVS

An HD projector is much better than a PDP if you desire an image larger than ~ 65" and have a viewing environment where ambient light can be well controlled or if you are willing to make some changes to a less than ideal existing environment to accommodate an FP/screen set-up. The answer to your second question really depends on how you answer the first along with your personal preference. Some projectors with higher lumen specs won't necessarily require the same compromises dictated by others with a lower output, but some of the best projectors also aren't light cannons. Some people love single-chip DLP models for their inherent sharpness, while others prefer the "film-like" images produced by lcos products. The good news is that there are an enormous number of 1080p projectors available at a wide range of price-points and that wasn't the case just a handful of years ago There's really never been a better time to get into FP.

Welcome to the dark side. Just be aware that once you cross over, there's no going back.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
are cars better than trucks?

·
Registered
JVC RS500U, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 7.2.4 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,382 Posts

Quote:

No, there are none BETTER from a PQ perspective, but the picture they produce is BIGGER and some can come close in PQ. Bigger is what makes for a home theater experience, so in that respect they are better. In order to come close, you'll need a suitable environment. Without one, you're not even in the same ballpark. IF you can control the ambient and reflected light AND have the room to project something well over 70", only THEN should you consider a PJ. Otherwise, you might as well wait for something like the 72" Vizio due out this year that's within your budget. However, if you have the light controlled room that can hold a large screen, then you'll want to look for the shapest, blackest, most detailed CR you can find in a PJ while still producing sufficient light output. There are plenty to choose from, it just depends on your budget and needs. As for HD, they all are pretty much 1080p now, so that's not really an issue.

Quote:

New, or can you live with something that's slightly used? And what about a screen; is that in your budget? There are plenty of nice LCD projectors on the market which are closer to $2K than $5K. However, if you're lucking for the PQ of a plasma, you're going to need to see them and make the call for yourself. When someone says plasma, I immediately think Kuro with great blacks/CR. IMHO, I think the JVCs come the closest for money. A used RS20 is well within your $5K budget and leaves money for a screen too. Heck, you could pick up a used RS1 for @ $1700 and a new Carada screen for under $1K and certainly be under budget, it just depends on where you draw the line. Some of the new JVC models are around or just over $5K, depending on sales price. Talk to AVS Sales.

One word of advice, buy a decent screen and get the right the first time since it should last you a very long time. If you're anything like a typically projector owner on AVS, you'll end up upgrading PJs almost as often as the lamps, but still keep the same screen. That's why I recommend getting the best value (price/performance) you can find in a PJ. Sometimes, that spells B-stock, used, or sale. Sometimes it's a new projector that's made advances in their product line.

Good luck. Have fun during your search. Take your time and do the research and get it right for your needs. See as many PJs as you can in person. Ask local forum members if you can see their setup if you can't find a dealer. And once your PJ is up and you're enjoying it, stay away from this forum or, like the rest of us, you'll start looking for your NEXT projector.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I disagree with Steve on picture quality. look at a good HT projector setup from a 30 degree viewing angle then look at a plasma from a 30 degree viewing angle.

The answer now should be obvious

·
Registered
JVC RS500U, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 7.2.4 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,382 Posts
Well I'm king of my castle, so I sit in the best throne in the theater.
And it's wide enough that there are no issues with angles, especially with a HiPower. However, I'd do the same with a plasma and would set up the seating so that no one sits at a bad angle.

As for PQ, I still stand by my statement that a calibrated Kuro Plasma will look better than a calibrated projector. Some will approach equaling the PQ, especially when coupled with the proper screen and in the perfect viewing environment (i.e., bat-cave). Just the fact that your expanding the picture from 60" to 120" has a negative effect, so a lot depends on viewing distance from either and your eyes.

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest. My post was just my opinion. You're entitled to your own. Yes, viewing angles matter, but that issue exists with screens too. I prefer a front PJ better than plasma for a true home theater experience, but still think the PQ of a plasma is better. However IMHO, bigger is better, so PJ is better than plasma. It all depends on what you mean by better.

My car serves me very well most times, but sometimes I really need my truck.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw /forum/post/18265293

a lot depends on viewing distance from either.

That's what the "viewing angle" defines

Sorry, I may have confused you saying "from" above, instead of "with". With a 30 degree viewing angle. That will give you an apples to apples comparison. i.e. same viewing ratio of distance to screen width.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
If you want a theatrical image, you're going to have to sit awfully close to a PDP to achieve the same kind of immersive presentation available with an FP at a more practical viewing distance. Clearly, the better plasmas are highly competitive from a PQ perspective, but if size didn't matter, this forum wouldn't exist.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Mlang46. As long as you are here I have an off topic optics question. From experimentation, I note that placing an anamorphic horizontal strech lens (an ISCOIII0 lens in front of a projector`s lens, the depth of field substantially decreases to only a few inches. Do you have an optical explanation for my observations and if so would you share it here. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,310 Posts
Anyone who is considering replacing a TV with a projector needs to understand that projectors have bulbs and bulbs lose brightness if when the hours start building up. Not to mention the with ambient light a projector's PQ won't look nearly as good as a plasma. a 65" or smaller plasma obviously won't have the immersion of a good projection setup, however if the projector will be used as an every day TV then the bulb could definitely be a concern.

·
Registered
917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich /forum/post/18267820

Mlang46. As long as you are here I have an off topic optics question. From experimentation, I note that placing an anamorphic horizontal strech lens(an ISCOIII0lens in front of a projector`s lens,the depthor field substantially decreases toonly afew inches.Doyou have an optical explanation for my observations and if so would you share it here. Thanks in advance.

the depth of field should not change with the stretch but you may be adding astigmatism which will change the image quality in and out of the optimal focus.

You could test this theory by measuring the depth of focus at the center of the field and at the edge. If it is much smaller at the edge than the center it is astigmatism. If of course you have a cylindrical beam expander like the IscoIII than you could have astigmatism at the center. what adjustment do you have in the lens?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts