AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
5,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best 1080P projector under $1K that will take a 4K signal and down-rez it? It would be nice if it was LED or laser. No Chinese imports for now as they seem to have too many HDCP and language issues.

· Registered
2,897 Posts
What is the best 1080P projector under $1K that will take a 4K signal and down-rez it? It would be nice if it was LED or laser. No Chinese imports for now as they seem to have too many HDCP and language issues.
I don't know if this is the best because it depends on what you are looking for. If you want a very bright 1080p projector that accepts 4k HDR, this might be it: Optoma HD27HDR. In fact, this might be your only option. Check out the review here: https://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD27HDR-Review.htm.

I have not seen it, but appears to be very good based on the review.

· Registered
16,994 Posts
I owned the HD27HDR for a couple weeks and it was just very 'meh' regarding the image, I returned it for that reason (it just did not impress me beyond it's ability to accept 4K HDR and 1080p 120hz for gaming).

Feature wise it cannot be beat for the money but the image is not as good as some other entry level 1080p projectors (of course none of those accept and process 4K).

Regarding gaming it's brilliant, playing at 1080p 120Hz with ~8ms input lag is fantastic.

- Jason

· Premium Member
5,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Read a review on Projector Central on the HD27HDR.A major problem called out is that it converts a 1080P input signal to UHD and then converts it back to 1080P for display. According to PC this decreases the image quality. I wonder why they would do that instead of having two digital paths inside the electronics.

· Registered
6,757 Posts
Read a review on Projector Central on the HD27HDR.A major problem called out is that it converts a 1080P input signal to UHD and then converts it back to 1080P for display. According to PC this decreases the image quality. I wonder why they would do that instead of having two digital paths inside the electronics.
That's not quite correct. The HD27HDR signals that it accepts 4K input, so the source (if capable) will upscale 1080p output to 4K to match the input, and then the HD27HDR downscales it to output 1080p. The solution, as per PC, is to tell the source not to upscale non-4k content.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.