AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Infocus 4805. I would like to upgrade to an HD projector. Just wondering what are the best ones under 2k? The room is completely dark. The unit will be hung from the ceiling at about 11 ft away. Also, the ceiling height is not that high.

Thanks!

Also, what are the bulb lives on these newer models?

·
Registered
262 Posts
What requirements to do you have? We can't define 'best' without knowing what you want to achieve. However, the most popular units are:

Panny AX100u

Sanyo Z5

Mits HD1000u

Optoma HD70

I recently upgraded my SP4805 to the HD1000u. It is a considerable upgrade with HD DVD/Blu Ray and video games (Xbox 360 and PS3). It's mostly a wash with SD DVD.

My room is not completely black. So, I can't take advantage of darker black and the highest contrast. Since your room is black, you might want to consider others as well.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM /forum/post/0

What requirements to do you have? We can't define 'best' without knowing what you want to achieve. However, the most popular units are:

Panny AX100u

Sanyo Z5

Mits HD1000u

Optoma HD70

I recently upgraded my SP4805 to the HD1000u. It is a considerable upgrade with HD DVD/Blu Ray and video games (Xbox 360 and PS3). It's mostly a wash with SD DVD.

My room is not completely black. So, I can't take advantage of darker black and the highest contrast. Since your room is black, you might want to consider others as well.

I use it now for DVD. But, maybe upgrading to either an HD or Blu-ray player and I have the x-box.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The HD1000u is the best bang for the buck right now. It offers the most improvement for the least amount of money. For me it was a significant upgrade from the 4805. Since you are at 11' from the screen, you'll see some benefit on SD DVD and considerable benefit with HD sources like Blu Ray. Your Xbox won't wow you until you get the Xbox 360.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM /forum/post/0

The HD1000u is the best bang for the buck right now. It offers the most improvement for the least amount of money. For me it was a significant upgrade from the 4805. Since you are at 11' from the screen, you'll see some benefit on SD DVD and considerable benefit with HD sources like Blu Ray. Your Xbox won't wow you until you get the Xbox 360.

Thanks....I do have the Xbox 360...I just forgot the 360 part.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you have a Magnolia/BB nearby they are closing out the Sharp 3K at a very reasonable price, about the same as a Z5. It does not have the horrible offset of the HD1000u, so is a lot easier to install. Also the 1280x768 panel is quite flexible for native resolution display.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Sharp DT-500 not getting any love here?

Coming in 500 less than budgeted amount, at a nearby WAREHOUSE store(online deal, don't know about walk-in).

I'll have mine Monday.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I just upgraded my 4805 to the HD1000U and I think it's amazing. It just came today and it's still light out, so I really haven't got to play with it much. However, what I saw so far was quite amazing!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I hope this thread keeps going. I have a 4805 and really love it. Mostly used for HD television on Time Warner Cable. Couldn't be happier with the picture, but I'm still thinking about an upgrade. My only defense is that I'm a guy. I look forward to hearing about other upgrade experiences from other 4805 owners.

·
Premium Member
LG Oled / Epson 5040UB/OPPO -203/ Apple TV4k/Marantz AV7703/ Emotiva xpa5/ Front Speakers –PSB Synch
118 Posts
With costco's return policy I'd put Sharp's DT-500 at the top of my list, but a bit out of my price range so going for the mits HD1000U (as an upgrade from my 4805)

happy shopping

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.