AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got the Art last spring and I agree that this TV has some of the best colors that I've ever seen. DVD's look awesome! When I bought the TV, though, I wasn't aware that the VGA input was only 480p. From what I have heard/read there is a way to get the DTC100 to work with the Loewe VGA input. You need to upgrade the DTC100 to the new software (I have a DTC100, but no satellite connection in my apartment, impossible to get) and in the Loewe service menu, change one of the option bits to enable the 540p input. I don't know which bit it is and would sure like to see a table of what all the bits do in the service menu (there are quite a few).

My DTC100 is being serviced right now (problems with randomly changing channels, turning off for no reason, and one other problem I can't quite remember). When I get it back I hope that RCA will have upgraded the software so I can try the above solution out. The picture was just incredible even through the S-Video connector. Best S-Video picture I've seen ever.

After running through the Avia calibration DVD a couple of times I haven't even thought about having a tech come out to do the official calibration. The picture is just clean and natural.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Interesting. I am in the same situation--cannot get DSS because of my apt building. How do we figure out how to change the setting to 540p?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jay,

Thanks for the response. I am not that knowledgeable on the subject so I was left a little confused by your response. First of all I bought my Loewe this past June and it was built in May 2001. I imagine this makes it a second generation Calida. How else can you tell? And if it is second generation, what does that mean? I hope it means that it has hdtv capability! I can't believe that I spent $2,400 for a tv and it might not be hdtv? Also, which Panasonic model hdtv receiver are you refering to? I agree with you that very little is written about Loewe on these forums. The picture on my Calida is fantastic?

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Ruben--

I think you're in luck. If you've got a recent Calida then I believe you can do 1080i no problem from the component inputs. Call Sensory Science or your dealer and they should be able to clarify this for you (or maybe someone else will jump in on this thread who owns the 2nd gen Calida). You paid $2400 for your 2nd gen--i paid the same for my 1st gen Calida as soon as the price dropped from $3500 in Feb 2000! Oh the humor! The Panasonic probably isn't all that special in your case then--the model is something like TU-HDS20 or something but if you search AVSFORUM for 'Panasonic HDTV receiver' you'll find it exactly. When and if you get an HD receiver working please do let me/us all know--I'm very curious. I searched AVSFORUM and there was another guy in NYC trying to do the same thing as me so I emailed him and he basically told me he gave up for the time being. Reminds me of a line said by Brad Pitt in Fight Club: "the things you own end up owning you". Well, owning a first gen Calida definitely has got me!

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I am in the same situation (1st gen Calida), and posted a similar message from a different angle (HTPC) a few days ago: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/013956.html#1

I am a bit surprised by the lack of traffic and participation when it comes to Loewe TVs on this and other forums. To my eye, the Loewe TVs are superior to Sony XBR direct view (even after ISF calibrating both the Loewe and Sony). Sensory Science (Loewe importer) also does not seem to participate in these forums, and when you call, they are very nice but they don't seem to have a wealth of experience with the Loewe TVs. I specifically asked about viewing widescreen HDTV material through the VGA 480P input in terms of utilizing full resolution or adjusting the screen geometry to achieve a widescreen viewable area and Sensory Science was unable to verify on the spot (they are going to do some testing next week). According to them, the only HDTV receivers they know of that can work with early gen Loewe TVs are the Sharp and Panasonic (because they can output 480P). They specifically mentioned that the RCA-DTC100 would not work on early gen Loewe because the DTC100 outputs 540, not 480. Yesterday, I walked into a local Wiz and looked at the Panasonic HDTV receiver. It has RGB outs but not in 15pin VGA connector style like the Loewe so we're going to need a cable to go from the RGB outs (RCA connectors) on back of the Panasonic to the D style 15pin VGA on the back of the Loewe. Frankly, I'm surprised that so few people are asking about how to do HDTV with Loewe TVs. Here in NYC, I think every hi-end dealer carries them. Are they not selling? Or are the buyers just clueless? Annoyingly, the Panasonic has 'dropped' to $799 from $999 whereas you can find the Toshiba, Proscan, Sony, and RCA units around $500 anywhere. I cannot locate the Sharp HDTV unit anywhere. Lastly, I am not sure if you have a 1st gen or 2nd gen Calida (Loewe was nice enough not to make external distinctions unless you go into the menu systems and recognize the differences) but I am inquiring about UPGRADING my 1st gen Calida to a 2nd gen Calida to get progressive scan component and 1080i HDTV inputs. As an alternative, I asked about a "trade in" program for Loewe customers but obviously they'll never go for that. Basically, I feel like when we bought these units we were told they are "HDTV upgradeable" or "HDTV compatible" when in reality they meet only the minimum specifications for SDTV/HDTV.

Anyone else a Loewe owner out there?

·
Registered
74 Posts
JayNYC-

I have a Calida I bought many moons ago (I'm sure it's "first gen"). I'm a Dish Network subscriber (dammit!), but I did have a DTC-100 for a brief period of time. Unfortunetly it didn't have the proper software upgrade to allow the DTC-100 to work w/my Loewe. I've seen a DTC-100 work w/a "first gen" Loewe (It was the 16x9 model ( Planus?) hooked up to the DTC displaying local OTA demo stuff). Soon after I got my hands on the DTC-100 I went the Toshiba 34"/Dish Network route (got my HD fix that-a-way). So I gave up on trying to get the software upgrade. The upgrade I'm refering to added a the ability to change the 'retrace timing' setting (under "Assistance>>Monitor Setup>>Retrace Timing). The new DTC-100 should have this software upgrade (cus this was a while ago). You simply try all three options until the picture comes up.

BTW, a couple of weeks ago I had my Toshiba ISF calibrated and he threw in the Loewe for a good deal. The Loewe definitely looks better (even after a I used the "Video Essentials" DVD). Apparently the color temperature was way off.

Anyway, I would suggest getting the DTC-100 and trying the different retrace timing settings until the picture comes up. Once again, I've seen it work on a Loewe (albeit a different model; but still "fist gen"). If it doesn't work, return it. If it does (which should be the case), then save a few $'s.

[This message has been edited by ADNBSN (edited 09-08-2001).]

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've heard conflicting stories about connecting the RCA DTC-100 with the 1st-generation Loewe monitors. Sensory Science tells me the scan rates are incompatible (540p from the DTC-100, 480p needed by the Loewe) and not to bother. Yet some AVS Forum members refer to a work-around, involving service menus and software upgrades. Can anyone offer me a conclusive answer to this quandary? I have both units now but am forced to use S-Video, because I can't get the VGA connection to work.

Alternatively, is there a different HD reciever I should consider, that has 480p output through VGA, and definitely works with the 1st-gen Loewe TVs?

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I am currentlu running Samsung SIRT-150 with a first generation Calida though the VGA input letterboxed. 480p on CSI looks incredible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with the Samsung. Is that a satellite receiver (designed for DirecTV)? Also, what's the approx price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.