AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sharp 9000 with the firmware update. I am wondering if it is worth getting a Panny HD receiver. Since it allows one to output 720p, if I put this into Input 5, I assume it will avoid the internal scaler.

On the other hand, if I get a DTC-100, it only puts out 1080i. It seems this will trigger the internal scaler.

Is this thinking correct, or more importantly, relevant?

Someone said that it doesn't matter. Either the receiver must do the scaling or the Sharp. They said it was the same difference. Is that true?

Thanks in advance.

John

· Registered
1,876 Posts
I am using the Panasonic STB with my Marantz pj. I find that using the 720P into the projector gives a noticeably better image than feeding it 1080i and having the projector downconvert it into 720P.

Its particularly noticeable on large color areas which are much more uniform feeding it 720P.

The channel changes are slightly slower than I'd like but not so much that I really mind. I never use the onscreen menu so that's not a factor with me. My biggest gripe is that the attempt at a universal remote really sucks. I'll take a thoughtfully laid out single purpose remote any day.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.