AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help me out here? i am somewhat new to HDTV but have read way too much by now. i am using a sony 10Ht projector on roughly a 106" viewtec screen that was made for 16x9 viewing. when i go to direct tv viewing this month can anyone suggest a hi def receiver to use with the dual element dish. i guess that ill just pay the extra 6 bucks for local programing. is there any one unit that will work better with the sony 10 ht and give greater benefits? i currently have a denon 2800 dvd player and plan to purchase some make of hard disk recorder but havent a clue yet on that either!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have tried 2 HD STB's on my 10ht, the Sony and Hughes boxes and the Hughes was IMO a much better box and works great with the 10ht. The Sony had/has lots of problems including:

*a loud fan

*variable output mode requires you to enter the 10ht menus and change input types, unless you want to fiddle with the menu every time you switch between 1080i and 480i you will end up setting the STB to upconvert to 1080i.

*PSIP OTA guide data does not work

*lacks features that are beneficial on the 10ht such a 4:3 stretch and crop functions

*This box also suffered from dropouts, some of which have been fixed by patches but from some of the posts I have read they may still have problems.

The Hughes box:

*Great picture for OTA digital and analog, HD and SD

*Has no fan so it is silent

*uses AGP for OTA and DTV and works well. I think there is a bug that cause the guide to loose its data sometimes. It looks like it will usually fix it's self or it can be fixed by a reboot.

*has 4:3 cropping and stretching modes for directv and digital tv 480i broadcasts. This is useful when watching a letterboxed program, you can stretch it much like the zoom aspect in the 10ht.

It would be nice if it had an option for black bars vs gray bars when watching 4:3 programming, but IMO it does not make that big of difference as I do not watch that much 4:3, and may actually improve perceived black level by providing bias lighting.

Hughes OEM their box to Mits and Tosh, If you go this way they should all function the same with the 10ht so buy the one with the best price.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yeah the Sony outputs 1080i, so you'd have it scaled up, then back down again for 720p.

There is a new Zenith box out that's supposed to be nice (searching for link... ahhh, THERE it is.

Looks pretty nice. You need to ask people on the HDTV forums though.

"i guess that ill just pay the extra 6 bucks for local programing." If you just want the local HDTV programming, you can get it with an antenna, and save six bucks a month for HDTV HBO :).

·
Registered
343 Posts
The DISH 6000 also works very well with the 10HT in both the 720p and 1080i modes. You also get Showtime HD with Dish.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.