AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost all the HDTV sets, 16:9 and 4:3, look great with an HDTV source and/or a progressive DVD input. That works fine for me, but my wife's favorite shows are all standard 4:3 broadcast TV and she loves old movies, many from the '30s and '40s, that were originally filmed in 4:3 format. She doesn't have any problem with me getting an HD capable TV, but she has made it clear it had better display standard NTSC signals and those old movies on VHS tapes at least as good as our 35" Mitsubishi tube or there will be no new TV for yours truly! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

So, what HD capable set does the best job handling NTSC sources while still delivering great video from digital sources? My upper size limit is probably 55"-60" for a 4:3 display, 46"-55" for a 16:9 screen, but 55" would be a real squeeze. My preference is for 16:9, but since about 80% of our current viewing is standard/digital cable, a 4:3 set is worth considering. Suggestions? TIA http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Dan Driscoll

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Normally I would suggest the Sony KP-53HS10 (or newer HS30) which is a 4:3 with a 16:9 squeeze mode, but getting a 4:3 picture as good as a Mitsu 35" tube would be difficult on any RPTV.

In this case, I would recommend a 16:9 set so you could watch 4:3 material with side bars. This would make 4:3 a smaller picture and the chance of your wife noticing the imperfections caused by enlarging a barely acceptable SD signal would be less likely. On a 46" 16:9 the 4:3 picture size would be about the same as your 35" tube.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
681 Posts
IMHO, NTSC sucks on all 16x9 RPTVs (especially Toshiba and Mitsubishi) except for the Pioneer Elites. An iScan v2 might help, but I recall reading a posting here from an unhappy Mits owner who was still unsatisfied after buying an iScan to improve NTSC viewing.

-Jonathan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.