AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 LG E6 OLED. It's upscaling is really subpar compared to Sony and Samsung LCDs, and now the Sony A1E OLED. I watch 90% of my content as cable tv, which is from DirecTV at 720p/1080i. I know that you can only do so much with compression from cable providers, but I've tried the following so far.

- Added a darbee at 60-65%. Helps with clarity somewhat
- I have a Denon X3300W amp, tried setting this to upscale 4K. Seems to be better than LG natively.

Are there other options out there that I'm not aware of?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
At the risk of sounding like an advertorial......Lumagen Radiance Pro is the reference scaler HD to 4K. However if you only want to send HD through a sclaer then next best thing is Radiance 2143 which is still a current model, although you might find some s/h as folk upgrade to Pro model

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the risk of sounding like an advertorial......Lumagen Radiance Pro is the reference scaler HD to 4K. However if you only want to send HD through a sclaer then next best thing is Radiance 2143 which is still a current model, although you might find some s/h as folk upgrade to Pro model
thanks, at those prices mine as well just sell my oled and get the new Sony A1E!

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
I have a 2016 LG E6 OLED. It's upscaling is really subpar compared to Sony and Samsung LCDs, and now the Sony A1E OLED. I watch 90% of my content as cable tv, which is from DirecTV at 720p/1080i. I know that you can only do so much with compression from cable providers, but I've tried the following so far.

- I have a Denon X3300W amp, tried setting this to upscale 4K. Seems to be better than LG natively.

We have a solution at $400 for that, if you are interested you can try it and compare quality, see if you prefer it over others solutions you tried.
Just contact the guys on HDfury.com, they will help you out.

Solution is:
SOURCE > HDF4 to upscale 720/1080i to 1080p > LINKER to upscale 1080p up to 4K60 600MHz > AVR/Display

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
We have a solution at $400 for that, if you are interested you can try it and compare quality, see if you prefer it over others solutions you tried.

Solution is:
SOURCE > HDF4 to upscale 720/1080i to 1080p > LINKER to upscale 1080p up to 4K60 600MHz > AVR/Display
So - any real difference in quality on "upscaling" between my 4K TV and the "HD Fury Linker?" (I see the "Linker" priced at $199.00 for the U.S. version. What's the $400 solution/price difference?)

Example: TV Specs: Vizio M43-C1. It only supports 4k @ 60Hz. It doesn't support chroma 4:4:4 at any resolution/refresh rate. 4:2:2 works though.

Comcast cable signal.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Solution is:
Can you explain further the setup and how it works? Do you have any comparisons to Sony or Samsung tv scaling?

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
So - any real difference in quality on "upscaling" between my 4K TV and the "HD Fury Linker?" (I see the "Linker" priced at $199.00 for the U.S. version. What's the $400 solution/price difference?)

Example: TV Specs: Vizio M43-C1. It only supports 4k @ 60Hz. It doesn't support chroma 4:4:4 at any resolution/refresh rate. 4:2:2 works though.

Comcast cable signal.
The question was about a solution for 1080i material, Linker only support 1080p for upscaling to UHD, so my suggestion was to use HDF4S to convert 1080i to 1080p and then use Linker for 1080p to UHD, when bought together, we can offer the combo HDF4+Linker for 399$. Hope it's more clear, for the quality comparison, please buy and try, if you don't like it, send it back within 30 days as we cannot really answer that quality question for you, only real tests can tell you if it's better than your TV work.

Can you explain further the setup and how it works? Do you have any comparisons to Sony or Samsung tv scaling?
It's simple, 720p or 1080i comes in HDF4S and it will output it at 1080p (this is one time setup only, once setup, anything you throw in, will go out at 1080p), which then comes in Linker which will output it to UHD up to 600MHz.

So basically SOURCE > HDF4 > LINKER > TV.

It's hard to answer on quality, it's really something which is unique to everyone, you might prefer this or that for various reasons, for ex, not everyone can tell difference between 24 and 60 fps but some can tell diff between 60 and 120.
Our suggestion for you is simply to try and make your own opinion as you can send back for full refund within 30 days (no restocking fee)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sony A1E or Tivo Bolt to upscale?

FIOS input to Tivo Bolt. The Bolt upscales to 4K and sends the signal to the Sony. The Sony has their X1 Extreme video processor. I assume that this is a better upscaler than what is in the Bolt? Should I just have the Bolt pass a 1080p signal to the A1E?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FIOS input to Tivo Bolt. The Bolt upscales to 4K and sends the signal to the Sony. The Sony has their X1 Extreme video processor. I assume that this is a better upscaler than what is in the Bolt? Should I just have the Bolt pass a 1080p signal to the A1E?

i'm sure the sony is way better than tivo. i would pass the tivo at native and let sony do all processing.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would look after a OPPO 103/103D and use the HDMI input for SD sources and upscale it to UHD, it will beat any Hdfury product, and give you a reference Blu Ray player on top, that will eat most disc formats, file playback and offer reference streaming quality..
Sorry should have updated awhile ago. I got an oppo 203 and using the hdmi in I'm satisfied for sub 1080p content scaling.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Sorry should have updated awhile ago. I got an oppo 203 and using the hdmi in I'm satisfied for sub 1080p content scaling.
does the oppo need to be on for the scaling to work or can it do it while the oppo is on standby?

other options

http://www.marseilleinc.com/marseille-mcable-4k-uhd-hdmi-cinema-edition/

http://www.audiovideohd.fr/tests/387-HDElite-ActiveHD-0.html

or a used dvdo duo processor or dvdo mini.

lumagen a great but quite expensive.

I don't have 4k but replaced the sky/cable box with vu+ box which has much better picture and sound quality but I only watch the free channels.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The question was about a solution for 1080i material, Linker only support 1080p for upscaling to UHD, so my suggestion was to use HDF4S to convert 1080i to 1080p and then use Linker for 1080p to UHD, when bought together, we can offer the combo HDF4+Linker for 399$. Hope it's more clear, for the quality comparison, please buy and try, if you don't like it, send it back within 30 days as we cannot really answer that quality question for you, only real tests can tell you if it's better than your TV work.

It's simple, 720p or 1080i comes in HDF4S and it will output it at 1080p (this is one time setup only, once setup, anything you throw in, will go out at 1080p), which then comes in Linker which will output it to UHD up to 600MHz.

So basically SOURCE > HDF4 > LINKER > TV.

It's hard to answer on quality, it's really something which is unique to everyone, you might prefer this or that for various reasons, for ex, not everyone can tell difference between 24 and 60 fps but some can tell diff between 60 and 120.
Our suggestion for you is simply to try and make your own opinion as you can send back for full refund within 30 days (no restocking fee)

Do you have HDF4 on your website?
I keep looking for it and I cannot find it.
Do you have a link for it?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The upscaling chain you mentioned above by linking your 2 devices will not allow HLG HDR to pass through will it?

That's a good question, I would need to check with devs, you are talking about incoming signal being 720p HDR or something else ?
4k hdr. So Directv has 720p and 1080i channels that you’d scale up to 4k 60. Now they also have 4k hdr channels via hlg hdr.

In theory you put your device between cable box and tv and let it upscale sub 4k content and then pass through the native 4k hdr it it detects that input signal.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
4k hdr. So Directv has 720p and 1080i channels that you’d scale up to 4k 60. Now they also have 4k hdr channels via hlg hdr.

In theory you put your device between cable box and tv and let it upscale sub 4k content and then pass through the native 4k hdr it it detects that input signal.

Yes that is then tricky and involve too many devices I guess to be viable solution currently, this is until Diva is updated to add HDMI 1.x upscaling (480p/720p/1080i>1080p) then eventually one box can do it all but you have to link one output back to an input (for 720p/1080i > 1080p goes back to input for 1080p > 2160p)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts