AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had several "normal" computer tuner capture cards and now want to get into HD. I've looked over the forum and some posts and I'm trying to determine the best HD tuner capture card and Software package - for the money. Looking to spend about $100 on the card (but can go a bit more if it's worth it). It seems the Avermedia A180 might be a good choice. I also would like one that works well with one of the "TIVO" like service/software packages around for schedueling, etc. But that's not a huge requirement. I'm planning on just hooking up a small HD antenna (maybe Terk) to it as I don't have HD cable yet. I have a very nice 24" wide Dell LCD monitor on my Win XP machine to use it with (3.0 ghz, 1 gig RAM, etc.). So - opinions?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone have any suggestions? Or even other good HD tuner cards I should look at - besides the Avermedia A180 one?

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
rad, there are many many threads in this forum comparing and contrasting the HD tuner cards. The ones that spring to mind are:

MyHD series cards (100, 120, 130)

Fusion series (2,3,5)

ATI HDWonder

the Avermedia 180

AccessDTV

That USB one I always forget about...

Anyway, the MyHD series and Fusion series cards have the largest user base here, and the MyHD gets very good support on the official threads from Cliff Watson who is the lead beta tester for it in NA. It is, however, well outside your $100 price point. The Fusion has BDA drivers and therefore can be used in MCE2005.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet
rad, there are many many threads in this forum comparing and contrasting the HD tuner cards.
Yes there are many, many threads. Do ANY of the cards (and their software packages) you mentioned work reliably ? From what I've seen so far, they seem to approach it as a limit but never quite reach it.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless33
Yes there are many, many threads. Do ANY of the cards (and their software packages) you mentioned work reliably ? From what I've seen so far, they seem to approach it as a limit but never quite reach it.
I guess it depends, to a degree, on how you define "work reliably". You have to remember that these cards are running on an operating system that lets the user install all sorts of software and driver combinations on a nearly infinite number of possible hardware combinations. It's nearly impossible to come up with a hardware/software solution for a TV tuner card that is 100% reliable in this sort of environment (never crashes, never does anything out of character). That said, accessDTV, MyHD, and the cards that work with MCE 2005 (and ONLY when used with MCE 2005) are all pretty reliable solutions at this point. I'm slowly working through fixing the remaining nagging issues with the accessDTV software (less so with the drivers as driver development really isn't my thing), so it presumably has become more reliable (and feature rich) with each release.

If you want a 100% reliable solution, you're only real option is a set top box solution (ie: HD Tivo or the other HD DVR's that are slowly appearing on the market), but I'm actually not sure that any of the available set top box solutions are actually 100% reliable at this point either (HD Tivo has had all sorts of HDMI problems)...

Most people find an acceptable threshold of pain and learn to be happy with it :D.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr
...and the cards that work with MCE 2005 (and ONLY when used with MCE 2005) are all pretty reliable solutions at this point....
Could you elaborate on the MCE2005 situation ?

Is this just a matter of microsoft creating a controlled environment to eliminate the issues you mentioned with the full windows environment ?

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless33
Could you elaborate on the MCE2005 situation ?
Not to put words in gsr's mouth, but I think what he's getting at is that the non-MCE software is all still in beta/development, and not yet as robust as MCE.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Not to put words in gsr's mouth, but I think what he's getting at is that the non-MCE software is all still in beta/development, and not yet as robust as MCE.
Does MCE yet support QAM cable channel tuning or DTV-CC decoding? If not it has a long way to go before it is a higher level beta than some other software/hardware.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
What you listed are two "features" that have nothing to do with how beta a given app is. I could point out just as easilly that "some other software/hardware" is far behind MCE (and the other apps that use BDA drivers) in terms of recording management, scheduling, and overall useability.

·
Registered
849 Posts
well my myth box works better with microsoft's own hardware (xbox) than microsoft's OS does. i can schedule recordings, watch recordings with commercials skipped, check the TV guide, and with a little hacking here and there watch live TV, albeit not reliably. oh and no f%*&*$%ing DRM.

so does that mean XP is beta compared to my linux box? no arguments if so, been saying that for years, just happy to find someone who agrees! :p

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Sure, but what was the point to your post if not as a shot against non "other software/hardware"? It's not like your post added anything to this thread, the MyHD is already out of the OP's target pricerange. All my post was, was to clarify what the situation regarding BDA cards outside MCE was. I believe it (my original post that you quoted) was completely accurate, and not disparaging at all toward the MyHD.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd
so does that mean XP is beta compared to my linux box? no arguments if so, been saying that for years, just happy to find someone who agrees! :p
Cliff was pimping the MyHD if you didn't know.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd
well my myth box works better with microsoft's own hardware (xbox) than microsoft's OS does. i can schedule recordings, watch recordings with commercials skipped, check the TV guide, and with a little hacking here and there watch live TV, albeit not reliably. oh and no f%*&*$%ing DRM.

All MS operating systems released have been nothing more than public beta software. Always have been, but at some point MS allows us to pay to be beta testers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmm, a bit more confused now. As I said in my original starting post. I run Win XP - not MCE2005. So I was looking for a fairly reliable HD-Tuner card and software package to use in that OS. My $100 idea was just a low range, I can go higher (as I said). Do any of the MyHD or Fusion or Avermedia work fairly well in WinXP? I can deal with a crash once in awhile - just don't want to pull my hair out. I'm pretty tech able and build my own PC's - and they run clean and well.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
The MyHD works extremely well with WinXP. I'd argue it is the most stable WinXP card there is.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet
The MyHD works extremely well with WinXP. I'd argue it is the most stable WinXP card there is.
I have all three versions of the MyHD (100, 120, 130) and agree 100% with madpoet. Yes, it's interface isn't as flashy as MCE, but it's stable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819
I have all three versions of the MyHD (100, 120, 130) and agree 100% with madpoet. Yes, it's interface isn't as flashy as MCE, but it's stable.
Thanks guys! That's the info I was looking for. Sounds like I'll be looking seriously at the MyHD line. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.