AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around at TV's for the coming generation of video-game consoles and found these two TV's.

The Samsung 26inch"
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099396991028

And the Sony 30"
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1077628885856

I don't really mind the 4 inch difference in size of these two TV's. I'm pretty sure both TV's upconvert 720p to 1080i.

1. The price difference is fairly large; around 350 dollars. What makes the Sony 30" that much more expensive besides the increased real estate?

2. Also, any other TV recommendations would be great. I'm open to any other suggestions :)

3. Last question: My old Panasonic 27inch 'Bessie' from 1994 with S-Video inputs has lately been suffering a case of 'darkness' in the tube. I have to crank the brightness from 31(normal) to 40 just to be able to distinguish different levels of black. I'm guessing this is normal for CRT's, no? Afterall...I've had that TV for 12 years now...

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by link9933
I've been looking around at TV's for the coming generation of video-game consoles and found these two TV's.

The Samsung 26inch"
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099396991028

And the Sony 30"
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1077628885856

I don't really mind the 4 inch difference in size of these two TV's. I'm pretty sure both TV's upconvert 720p to 1080i.

1. The price difference is fairly large; around 350 dollars. What makes the Sony 30" that much more expensive besides the increased real estate?

2. Also, any other TV recommendations would be great. I'm open to any other suggestions :)

3. Last question: My old Panasonic 27inch 'Bessie' from 1994 with S-Video inputs has lately been suffering a case of 'darkness' in the tube. I have to crank the brightness from 31(normal) to 40 just to be able to distinguish different levels of black. I'm guessing this is normal for CRT's, no? Afterall...I've had that TV for 12 years now...
I'd also recommend the Panasonic 30-34inch & th Toshiba 34inch 84 model line..

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilite
Does the Panasonic have better PQ then the Sony HS420 and Toshiba HF84?
Horizontal resolution wise..

420 850

Panasonic that I mentioned 900

Toshiba 84 models 1,000

ofcourse theres more to PQ then just a higher resolution.. Havent seen the Panny or Toshiba 84 model..

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI
Horizontal resolution wise..

420 850

Panasonic that I mentioned 900

Toshiba 84 models 1,000

ofcourse theres more to PQ then just a higher resolution.. Havent seen the Panny or Toshiba 84 model..
What :eek:, I didn't know that the resolution in the Sony is lower than the Toshiba.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan
What :eek:, I didn't know that the resolution in the Sony is lower than the Toshiba.
Not the XBR line.. I checked the Resolution on zdnet.com.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI
Not the XBR line.. I checked the Resolution on zdnet.com.
Would you be so kind as to post the URL you referenced for ZDNet?

Thanks! ;)

·
Registered
2,435 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Not all of the TV's listed show horizontal resolution, which is a bummer..

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI
Not all of the TV's listed show horizontal resolution, which is a bummer..
No Problem - I wasn't aware that any sites were publishing lines of horizontal resolution.

Thanks! ;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I like my 30hs420 that I got 3 weeks ago. You are getting Sony quality. I also saw the Pansonic, Toshiba and Samsung (P silver model) 30" on the same row as the 27" and 30" Sony HS420 TVs at Fry's feeding the Discovery HD channel to all the TVs and the Sony blew the others away, only the Pansonic was in the same league. It could be the other TVs weren't set up right. With the new Samsung I was getting the impression blacks weren't really black. The silver model Samsung 26" at Target seem to have good blacks. You would appreciate the extra 4", just like your significant other would.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef
I like my 30hs420 that I got 3 weeks ago. You are getting Sony quality. I also saw the Pansonic, Toshiba and Samsung (P silver model) 30" on the same row as the 27" and 30" Sony HS420 TVs at Fry's feeding the Discovery HD channel to all the TVs and the Sony blew the others away, only the Pansonic was in the same league. It could be the other TVs weren't set up right. With the new Samsung I was getting the impression blacks weren't really black. The silver model Samsung 26" at Target seem to have good blacks. You would appreciate the extra 4", just like your significant other would.
At my BB all the CRT HDTV's look like crap except for the Samsungs.. Don't know whats up.. The XBR955's..Toshibas..Philips..Magnavox..The 420's all look blurry as hell, but the Samsungs are very clear & beautiful..Same feed too.. I don't get it.. Maybe it's a conspiracy.. I know the slimfit Samsungs at my store look awesome. No PQ problems at all..

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI
At my BB all the CRT HDTV's look like crap except for the Samsungs.. Don't know whats up.. The XBR955's..Toshibas..Philips..Magnavox..The 420's all look blurry as hell, but the Samsungs are very clear & beautiful..Same feed too.. I don't get it.. Maybe it's a conspiracy.. I know the slimfit Samsungs at my store look awesome. No PQ problems at all..
Any decent hd set can be made to look awesome. Who knows why some look better in stores like BB than others. Those that look right have been adjusted well and are getting a nice, clean feed. those that look awful have been neglected.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.