AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new HDMI cable. I currently have a Redmere 30' but it's a little short when I want to pull my rack out.
So, to get ready for 4K, I currently have a 40ES, I want to future proof with a good cable. I heard and read that fiber optic is the way to go, but which one? I need no shorter than 32'. What ever length between 32' and 40', preferably around 35'.
So, what are some best choices that will take anything I throw at it?

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm looking for a new HDMI cable. I currently have a Redmere 30' but it's a little short when I want to pull my rack out.
So, to get ready for 4K, I currently have a 40ES, I want to future proof with a good cable. I heard and read that fiber optic is the way to go, but which one? I need no shorter than 32'. What ever length between 32' and 40', preferably around 35'.
I am getting a Tributaries aurora 10meter fiber cable in a week or so. The newest version I am told was tested by ISF and has been given the thumbs up. It is also certified by DPL labs @ 18gbs and they have extremely stringent test parameters for certification. Cables are not cheap but you will not have to worry.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
i bought the Monster - Black Platinum Line 35' 4K Ultra HD In-Wall HDMI Cable - Black from Best Buy for $200. While it is rated for 27Gbps, I know it definitely does not pass that. I use it with my 4K JVC projector with no issues.

Reactions: tico1970

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've got this going from my RS420 to my Denon X4300X with the 35ft cable. DynamicView Active High Speed HDMI Cable, 4K, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, CL2, 35ft, Black
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1025503&p_id=14473&seq=1&format=2

Then this is being used at 6ft to go from the Sony UHD to the Denon: Certified Premium Ultra Slim High Speed HDMI Cable, HDR, 36AWG, 6ft, Black
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024021&p_id=24187&seq=1&format=2

No issues passing 4K HDR from UHD at all.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I am currently using a rocketfish 100’ fiber optic HDMI without issue.

Audioquest recently released their 10 meter, 12.5 meter and 15 meter active HDMI in the Pearl, Forest and Cinnamon series. They also have the new Cherry Cola fiber optic series.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I need a new cable and this Monster cable is now on sale

Does it work with HDR 60hz?

thank you

You have to be careful when buying Monster Cable from non-autorized sources. A lot of them are counterfeit. While the cable is claimed to be okay at 60Hz, it failed to pass a 4K 4:4:4 60Hz 8-bit signal in a S&V comparison... It did pass a 24Hz signal, there was no mention of HDR as the test predated that. BTW, Blu-Ray discs are framed at 24hz. The only cable to pass was aan Audioquest Carbon cable.

Reactions: tico1970

·
Registered
920 Posts
I am currently using a rocketfish 100’ fiber optic HDMI without issue.

Audioquest recently released their 10 meter, 12.5 meter and 15 meter active HDMI in the Pearl, Forest and Cinnamin series. They also have he new Cherry Cola fiber optic series.
Almost went with Audioquest but ended up with a Fiber Optic cable from Monoprice. Those Audioquest cables are over priced!

·
Registered
920 Posts
I've got this going from my RS420 to my Denon X4300X with the 35ft cable. DynamicView Active High Speed HDMI Cable, 4K, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, CL2, 35ft, Black
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1025503&p_id=14473&seq=1&format=2

Then this is being used at 6ft to go from the Sony UHD to the Denon: Certified Premium Ultra Slim High Speed HDMI Cable, HDR, 36AWG, 6ft, Black
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024021&p_id=24187&seq=1&format=2

No issues passing 4K HDR from UHD at all.
I went with Monoprice cables as well. They work great and are much cheaper then other brands such as Monster and Audioquest.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I am getting a Tributaries aurora 10meter fiber cable in a week or so. The newest version I am told was tested by ISF and has been given the thumbs up. It is also certified by DPL labs @ 18gbs and they have extremely stringent test parameters for certification. Cables are not cheap but you will not have to worry.
My last 40' cable I had for 1080P was a 40' tributaries cable and they work great and never had one issue. But this time around I went with Monoprice and I was sceptical at first because of how much cheaper it was but in the end it works great and saved me money. :)

At the end of the day a cable is either going to work or it won't. I have no doubt buying a Tributaries, Audioquest or Monster cable will work just fine but they are overpriced and will not perform and better then the Monoprice cables.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21568

·
Registered
1,284 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I use this 33 ft RUIPRO Fiber cable with my JVC and have had no issues ever:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGDFCSC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

+1 for Ruipro

·
Registered
16,370 Posts
I need a new cable and this Monster cable is now on sale

Does it work with HDR 60hz?

thank you
Monster, like AudioQuest are overpriced. Ruipro seems to be getting the most positive feedback from users here who have runs over about 20' and want to push 4k HDR. If your cabling is in-wall, then you should be installing your cable in a conduit because that is the ONLY way to future proof your cabling. Once HDMI 2.1 is fully deployed, cabling requirements will probably change again and you'll need an easy way to upgrade your cabling. It's also much easier to control bend radius which can be a critical factor in a successful run.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Monster, like AudioQuest are overpriced. Ruipro seems to be getting the most positive feedback from users here who have runs over about 20' and want to push 4k HDR. If your cabling is in-wall, then you should be installing your cable in a conduit because that is the ONLY way to future proof your cabling. Once HDMI 2.1 is fully deployed, cabling requirements will probably change again and you'll need an easy way to upgrade your cabling. It's also much easier to control bend radius which can be a critical factor in a successful run.
I bought the 35ft monster cable for less than the Ruipro or the similar monoprice cable. If the monster cable doesn't work I can send it back.

In my case removing or installing new HDMI cables is pretty straight forward.

Thanks

·
Registered
16,370 Posts
I bought the 35ft monster cable for less than the Ruipro or the similar monoprice cable. If the monster cable doesn't work I can send it back.

In my case removing or installing new HDMI cables is pretty straight forward.

Thanks
Being as the Monster cable is being sold on eBay it may or may not be legitimate. I hope it works well for you because that would be a good price for that cable. As long as it's easy to install your cables that's all that really matters. It's the in-wall installations that can be a problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts