AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a very good quality brand hdmi. Its for my sammy pn59d550, blue ray, & cable box. I've used the cheap brand. And pic quality is garbage. Which brand would You recommend? I've gone to best buy and they choose audio quest over monster. Anyone using audio quest brand cables?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,189 Posts
If you are getting an image with those "cheap" cables, you won't see much of an improvement spending 10 times as much with the name brand cables. $5 cables are just as good as those $50 cables. Monoprice and blue jeans cables are excellent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a huge difference in pic quality for blue ray and playstation 3. My friends have the same tv as I do. They all have moster hdmi cables, And there pic quality is gorgeous compared to mine. Just to make sure. I switched mines over to there tv and blue ray. And its almost as if the cable can't handle it. I just don't want to spend over $100 like they did. But I still want a good quality cable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
there could be a problem with your cable and or connection,but don't waste money on high dollar hdmi cables,check out monoprice cables.


Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,189 Posts
Do you have the exact same settings as your friend's tv? Is his calibrated? I have one expensive cable (belkin) and 3 cheap mono price cables. Can not tell any difference on my Pioneer. All produce an excellent picture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman /forum/post/21262272


Do you have the exact same settings as your friend's tv? Is his calibrated? I have one expensive cable (belkin) and 3 cheap mono price cables. Can not tell any difference on my Pioneer. All produce an excellent picture.

It's not calibrated. i used the same setting as mine. The one that is a dead give away is when I'm on netflix. The top left corner, the pic quality keeps changing from low standard quality to medium. It never goes to full high def. That's when I started to question the hdmi cable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Monoprice:


24AWG CL2 Silver Plated High Speed work really well for my setup. PS3, Apple TV through an Anthem MRX 500 to a Samsung 3D Plasma...video and audio is awesome...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe801 /forum/post/21262287


It's not calibrated. i used the same setting as mine. The one that is a dead give away is when I'm on netflix. The top left corner, the pic quality keeps changing from low standard quality to medium. It never goes to full high def. That's when I started to question the hdmi cable.

That may be related to your internet connection. Netflix automatically streams based on your connection. If it doesn't maintain a 6 Mbs download speed, it will drop out of HD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe801 /forum/post/21262287


It's not calibrated. i used the same setting as mine. The one that is a dead give away is when I'm on netflix. The top left corner, the pic quality keeps changing from low standard quality to medium. It never goes to full high def. That's when I started to question the hdmi cable.

You are aware of how Netflix, and the Internet, works, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
As others have said, an HDMI cable either works or it doesn't. It's all 1's and 0's. There's no difference between a $3 cable and a $100 cable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by petern /forum/post/21262362


You are aware of how Netflix, and the Internet, works, right?

I am well aware. Having 16mbps is fast enough for me. I am sure. My friends have even faster speed, due to there home business.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,128 Posts
I started with monoprice but I ran into issues with the cables.I was dropping sync/picture. I switched to bluejeans and have been o.k. since. Just my .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN /forum/post/21262956


I started with monoprice but I ran into issues with the cables.I was dropping sync/picture. I switched to bluejeans and have been o.k. since. Just my .02

which model hdmi from monoprice did you have? I just ordered, premium 24awg high speed certified.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe801 /forum/post/21262444


I am well aware. Having 16mbps is fast enough for me. I am sure. My friends have even faster speed, due to there home business.

What device are you streaming Netflix through? Roku? Apple TV? Boxee? Wifi directly into tv? You will find out in a hurry, those devices are poor when it comes to actual streaming and how fast the download speeds are. Unless directly in sight of your wifi router, that 16 Mbs is probably not the actual speed that is making it to those devices or tv, unless directly wired via ethernet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,078 Posts
The mono price HDMI cable i ended up getting wasn't compatible with 1080p...i realised this once i hooked this up to my PS3. and I'm pretty sure it mentioned that it supported FULL HD during the time as well.


I ended up paying $16 for a 1080p HDMI cable at BB instead which worth perfectly. ;p At least with store bought HDMI cables they're reliable. and $16 doesn't hurt the bank either, unlike Sony's official PS3 HDMi cable....with the pretty ridiculous price tag.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe801 /forum/post/21262287


It's not calibrated. i used the same setting as mine. The one that is a dead give away is when I'm on netflix. The top left corner, the pic quality keeps changing from low standard quality to medium. It never goes to full high def. That's when I started to question the hdmi cable.

you should realize that there is no way that the hdmi cable can affect your download speeds... it can't, as there's no causal relationship between the two...


if you'd like to educate yourself a bit (and see why what others are telling you is correct), here's some reading for you...

click me for some reading about hdmi ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe801 /forum/post/21263327


which model hdmi from monoprice did you have? I just ordered, premium 24awg high speed certified.

I can't find my invoice as it was purchased a few years back but it was their best quality 25 foot cable. I also had a 3 foot of their best cable also go bad. I have bought an incredible amount of mono price audio and video cables and I never had an issue except with the hdmi cables.
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Top