AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of building my HT. I am finishing my basement for this project. I am almost to the point of where I will be running the HDMI cable from where my equipment room will be to where the projector will be mounted. Due to a series of sharp corners, running conduit will not be feasible. I need some suggestions on a good type of HDMI cable to buy, which will be future proof for hopefully atleast 5 to 10 years. The cable will need to be around 15ft. long. I was looking at the Rev 2 series on Ramelectronics, but I am not sure of their quality. Also suggestions on Component and Subwoofer cables would also be appreciated.

~Josh

·
Registered
274 Posts
I wouldn't count on any HDMI cable being futureproof for 5-10 years, so install conduit if you haven't already. As for an HDMI cable recommendation, the Ultralink HDMI Platinum Pro is a great cable, the best copper cable around.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
It's harder to find an HDMI cable that won't work than to find one that will outperform any other one until you get to longer lengths. HDMI cables carry digital signals so picture quality between cables will be identical unless you actually manage to find a rare bad cable. In that case, obvious sparklies will appear on the picture as pixels are created where data was lost. Never be concerned that a normal looking picture could have been better with a different HDMI cable. That's not the way it works.

There may be minor differences in analog cables such as component but not good or bad, just a little different. Equipment adjustments that need to be done in any case to set up the system take care of that. Unlike digital video cables, analog cables are easy to make at home with some RG59 or RG6 all copper conductor cable and a simple compression or crimp tool for connectors.

Sharp corners do not make conduit unfeasable, just a bit more difficult.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.