AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the ED a2-300 online and now am in the process of shopping for a receiver. Currently my needs are mostly music but i'd also like it to be good for movies and video games. My setup contains and HDTV, PS3, XBOX360, etc. and I would like to be able to use HDMI to hook up everything. I guess i would prefer to buy a 7.1 but a 5.1 isnt out of the question. I plan on buying 2 bookshelf speakers as well and then will prob just have those for a while so i want a receiver with a decent amount of power so my speakers won't be overpowered. My budget is around $200 and i dont mind buying refurb on ebay...I've been looking at the denon1609 and the HK AVR-254 but i've heard that the HK has problems with the ps3. Is the denon a good choice?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
The Denon 1609 as said above doesn't process HD audio. With a $200ish budget I'd look at refurbs. The HK 254 did have many issues when releases as many if not all HK models seem to have but it's been out a while now and should have most of them if not all ironed out, imo it's a great choice at your budget purchased from the HK ebay auctions with full factory warranty. Also look at Marantz from Accessories4less although they will be slightly over your budget.

·
Registered
27,351 Posts
Check Videogon. Used is the way to go these days.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought that 1609 would be able to pass the audio and video through hdmi just didn't upconvert them to 1080p which doesn't matter too much for me because my tv is 1080i and most of the time my ps3 would do the upconvert for me...I'm just looking for a receiver that will be able to pass the video and then be able to process the dolby 7.1 from blu rays or from the digital signal...will this do that?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat006007 /forum/post/16913091

I thought that 1609 would be able to pass the audio and video through hdmi just didn't upconvert them to 1080p which doesn't matter too much for me because my tv is 1080i and most of the time my ps3 would do the upconvert for me...I'm just looking for a receiver that will be able to pass the video and then be able to process the dolby 7.1 from blu rays or from the digital signal...will this do that?

No, as specified twice above and on page 11 of the manual which can be downloaded at the link below. You'll have to run a separate audio connection such as optical or coaxial.

The 1909/789 will but they are above your budget even used or refurbished.

http://www.usa.denon.com/AVR-1609-OM-E_205A.pdf

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could probably bump the price up an extra 50 bux, is the pioneer one previously mentioned the best one at the 250 price range that will manage all my hdmi inputs. i also like the ipod ready feature i would def use that a lot, what about the vsx-918v-k?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts