AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to move into an apartment in Fort Worth, Texas and I'm trying to find out what the best antenna would be for me to get to pick up the local HD channels. I entered my info on antennaweb.org and it read that a small multi-directional antenna should work. I believe I'm about 25-30 miles from the broadcast tower.

I don't have the ability to mount an antenna on the roof. My choices are either an indoor antenna or an outdoor on the patio where the Direct TV dish is going to be. I have looked at the Zenith ZHDTV as well as the Terk TV55, TV44 and TV42. I have read bad things about the Terk models, but I would still prefer an outdoor antenna so I can join the signals from the antenna and dish before they have to split to my two receivers. Any ideas, suggestions or good places to learn more? Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just noticed this message, and thought I'd give you a little insight. I live in Arlington, and all our locals come from the Cedar Hill area. I'm actually using a powered indoor antenna successfully. I do have a few dropouts, but I can usally fix that with a little rabbit ear tinkering. I bought a Jensen powered antenna from Fry's Electronics in Arlington, I think I paid $35. I'm using it with a Zenith HD-Sat520, I pretty satisfied, but I'm probably gonna get off my lazy rear and put up an external antenna soon.

E4B

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I use a channelmaster 4221 with a 7775 uhf preamp through a curtain and glass sliding door in my condo. The reception is very good. I have only UHF HDTV local channels, so this combination is no good for you if you have any VHF HDTV channels. The size is what I like, you can hide it by strapping it behind a piece of furniture.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
For UHF only reception, the RS DBT works good. For improved multi-path rejection, pick the silver sensor.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I used a modified RS DBT and Silver sensor before getting the 4221. The "iffy" channels definately improved. It is much easier to reposition the little ones though. If you don't have large sliding glass doors onto a patio or balcony, it's not likely possible to use something like the 4221 indoors.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tsteves
I use a channelmaster 4221 with a 7775 uhf preamp through a curtain and glass sliding door in my condo. The reception is very good. I have only UHF HDTV local channels, so this combination is no good for you if you have any VHF HDTV channels.
Ft Worth has both VHF & UHF digital channels. If you use a preamp, get the Channel Master 7777 instead of the 7775. The CM 7777 is VHF/UHF and has about the same gain/noise as the 7775.

However, if you get a good antenna, you may not need a preamp, and in many cases, preamps make digital reception worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.