Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I am about 25 miles (as the crow flys) from the broadcast towers in Baltimore. I was wondering on the best attic antenna and where to buy the same. All I need is UHF.

Also should I use a rotor? Is there a remote control rotor or would I have to run a cable to from the controller to the rotor? I prefer not to do that. Is the remote something other than IR so I can get through the drywall?

Thanks! Joe

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
You seriously compromise the antenna performance by putting it in the attic. Get the biggest antenna that you can fit.

·
Registered
780 Posts
BaltJoe: I used to live in the Northern Va area and had good luck using the CM 4248 UHF antenna in the attic to receive the Baltimore stations. I was about 52 airmiles from the Baltimore candelabra of broadcast stations. I had rock solid reception with the CM 4248 and a Winegard UHF only preamp of a about 18db (Winegard 4700 from memory). At only 25 miles try it without any preamp first. Although an i the attic install gives up some performance, if it works out for you there is a Major advantage of an in the attic install: weathering, falling limbs, big birds roosting, and other factor do not diminish performance over time.

If all of the Baltimore stations are still co-located, a rotor should not be necessary.

Regards:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think the Channel Master 4228 would be an excellent choice. It is much smaller than the 4248 and would be easier to manage in the attic. It arguably performs as well as the 4248.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I had good luck with the CM Stealthtenna w/built in amp. It is highly directional and small enough to position easily. I able to pull in WTNH in CT which is 50mi from my house. It does much better than a 90" yagi I also have in my attic.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a CM4221 and CM3041 preamp in my attic.... just aimed it in the proper direction, and leaned it against a post... tower is about 35 miles away.

All my digital stations come in at 100, with no problems whatsoever...

Hope this helps you

Good luck!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I agree, I have a CM4228 and a CM7777 preamp, and I can even pick up the 0.8kW Fox-DT station here in Austin, and it is ~8-10 miles away. It's not very stable, but I can still get it.

Oh yeah... attic mounted.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertCooper
I agree, I have a CM4228 and a CM7777 preamp, and I can even pick up the 0.8kW Fox-DT station here in Austin, and it is ~8-10 miles away. It's not very stable, but I can still get it.

Oh yeah... attic mounted.
What does that combination run?

·
Registered
224 Posts
For pricing, check out warrenelectronics.com, who tends to be cheaper than starkelectronics.com

By the way, I had a CM4228 in my attic and it worked pretty well. I'm 50 mi from the transmitters. A step up from this is the Televes DAT75, around $100 delivered from England.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.