AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using a laptop with a wireless G connection to watch ripped dvds with VLC. The dvd isos are on a Maxtor Shared Storage NAS that is connected to a wireless router. I map a drive letter to the NAS in WinXP. I then am able to mount a virtual DVD-rom drive of an ISO using daemon tools. Using the "drive" option in VLC, I then am able to open a stream and watch it locally. If I set a large enough buffer, the video and sound are very smooth.

I'd like to be able to watch some HDTV as well. I am only interested in OTA, and only in viewing it on the laptop, or an attached XGA projector. I am not aware of any solution for tuning the HDTV broadcast on the laptop.

So my thought is to purchase an HDTV tuner card for one of my other networked PCs and somehow stream the HDTV ts from there to the laptop. I assume I would have to timeshift to some degree to overcome the limitations of my bandwidth.

Any advice appreciated,

Gerald

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Right, the Sasem is one optin. Otherwise to stream you need a card that uses open file reads on the files. MyHD does I know. Not sure if the others do or not.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses.

Can anyone explain "3rd party BDA TV software" as mentioned in the system requirements?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why is the Sasem going away? How robust are the drivers/software?

Thx

Gerald

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I just skimmed through a long thread on the Sasem. Think I'll pass on that one.

Still dont know what BDA is. Anyone else find the VBOX butt-ugly?

If the Fusion will do what I want, that's probably the way I'll go, as I need to use my laptop's vid card to scale to my proj's XGA res anyway, so I dont really need HDTV out at the moment.

Gerald

·
Registered
104 Posts
No, I find the VBox beautiful. It is much nicer than all the other USB HD (ATSC) tuner boxes. Oh I forgot, it is the only ATSC USB Tuner box. But really, I think the brushed aluminum box is nice. You can stand it up or lay it down, depending on your preference. It is also nice that you do not need a power cord since it is USB powered.

3rd party BDA TV software means that the cards drivers use BDA (Broadcast Driver Architecture) and they are not including an application to view the TV. So if you plan to actually use the card (or box) then you should purchase some software that uses BDA.

We currently sell the cards without an application, but will have a bundle out very soon, with one of the PVR software leaders.

Shimon Hirschhorn

[email protected]

VBox Communications

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.