AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a few weeks and want to purchase this in the next few weeks. I got Sears to match the 53in. Panny for $1599 and the Hitachi 51uwx for $1899. I also have been looking at the Sony 51in. which was 1899 at CC. I would like to get the SWX but it seems that it would be around another $800 to even try and get it. I was going to go for the Panny but it doesn't have DVI which kinda scares me. I would much rather spend less money but if there is a set to be had for just a few dollars more than I would do that. Any ideas for me on this?

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's a good price for the Panny...I've read in these forums that a well-adjusted/calibrated Panny has one of the better pictures out there...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really want to stay between 50-55 in. and nothing smaller. I have heard about the Tosh 50h82 (or something like that). I am truly afraid of getting something without DVI. Is this going to catch on in the next 3-5 years because that is all I will probably have the TV. Thanks

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'm extreemley happy with my Philips 55" unit. (55PP9352)

Best Buy listed at $2199, got them to PM an Internet site to $2099. Added one of those 10% off coupons they send every month to lower to around $1890. Then added the $299 3 year warranty that is the best in the business. (even covers the Bulbs!) Also made them to toss in the often advertised Leather Reliner w/Ottoman, 24 month no interest financing...and Philips has $430 worth of Rebates also right now.

Had it two weeks now and I'm very pleased.....

·
Registered
197 Posts
That's a great price on the Hitachi - I got mine from Sears last weekend and got them down to $1950 - and I thought I had the best deal going! IMO, the Hitachi is probably the highest quailty unit out there, and so far as I know, it's the ONLY one that supports DVI/HDTC (or however that goes) - the DVI that supports encryption. The Sony, I believe, is only a DVI, and I know the Phillips doesn't have it (I almost bought it and rejected it due to that).

DVI is a very good thing to have. I'd go with the Hitachi.

·
Registered
505 Posts
My 2 cents--I think you've probably seen it already.

IF you're not concerned w/ premium HD content and only care about the next 3-5 years, then there's probably no need to worry.

HD-DVD will probably use some sort of copy-protected interface--probably DVI/HDCP if that's used by other HD sources--BUT you shouldn't worry about HD-DVD if you only care about the next 3-5 years. It's extremely unlikely that HD-DVD will become an affordable reality w/in that time period.

Obviously, all else being equal, it's better to have the DVI input than not. Just don't pay big $$$ for a set for no better reason than DVI, especially if it still requires an upgrade that costs $$$.

Again, that's just my take.

_Man_

·
Registered
815 Posts
Quite a newbie and learning more every minute...I do know my Philips does have DVI input....no DVI/HDCP or whatever......Not familar with that or it's benefit unless your talking about a future DVD format. Why would'nt a new DVD player handle that part of the conversion or whatever? My HD for now will come from my Cable Company's Box (3100HD for now...bummer!) when they roll it out in the next couple weeks....

Guess I have more learning to go.. though I expect in 5 years I'll have something new since the wife really wants something that will hang on the wall! :D

·
Registered
505 Posts
Heh heh...

The reason the DVD player won't "handle" DVI/HDCP is that they want the TV to handle it. That is, they want to the signal to remain digital (DVI) and copy-protected (HDCP) going into the TV. If you try to copy the DVI/HDCP output from such a player, you'll still always need a DVI/HDCP-to-unprotected-signal converter to play the full resolution content on displays that don't have DVI/HDCP built-in (or added). Such a player will probably also output one of the analog video formats (eg. component) that can feed non-DVI/HDCP displays, but the content providers could force such output at lower resolution like 480p, instead of 1080i.

And that's precisely the concern w/ premium content from cable/sat providers right now while HD-DVD will probably follow in their footsteps if the movie studios had their way.

_Man_

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
which, if any, of the TV's mentioned here handle 720p and do they upconvert to 1080i. just looking out for my future Xbox playing!! thanks so much for the replies

·
Registered
815 Posts
I know my Philips upconverts 720p to 1080i. Not sure about the others mentioned in this list.(probably the same) I know the Toshiba 57HDX(?) (dont know the model #) handles 720p natively. Possibly their other models also....

·
Registered
794 Posts
I purchased the Sony KP51-WS500. Out of box was good, but after I tweaked and manually converged... much better.. and the HD picture is stunning. Stretch modes aren't great, TOSH had better stretch, but he HD picture just wasn't as good. $2199 at BB with 24 month finance deal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does anyone know what the significant feature differences are between the Sony KP-46WT500 and the Sony KP51-WS500 besides the size?

Also, can anyone compare any of the sets mentioned in this thread considering only the PQ of standard definition content?

CG.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I pretty much looked at all the models in the 47-53 inch range, and evaluated them on the basis of picture quality. DVI and sound quality were non-issues for me, since I have a HTPC and a good surround sound setup.

the nicest one I saw was the 53" Pioneer non-elite model. It's atrociously expensice here in Canada (the equivalent of 3000$US), but for some reason, it's around 2000$ in the US. That's one very nice TV at that price.

I ended up buying the second best I saw, the Toshiba 50H82. If you plan to watch a significant abount of standard NTSC TV, this isthe one to get IMO. Some say that HD resolution is not as good as some others, but I've found it to be very good once adjusted properly with SVM disabled in Movie mode. That TV is very hard to beat in my opinion. The Panasonic might look even better if you're going to have ISF calibrated, but if not, I'd go with Toshiba or even better, the Pioneer. the picture quality of the Hitachi UWX is not better than the Toshiba H series, and the stretch modes of the hitachi are nausea-inducing. The SWX hitachi has remarkable picture quality that might make me verlook the stretch modes, but it's much more expensive than the UWX.

RFMan

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Jhiter,

I was in your shoes a couple of months ago. I finally decided that if DVI becomes a standard it will be 3-5 years out, which means there will be a better TV to buy at that time. Probably in 3-5 years there will be a better interface than DVI anyway (or someone will have made a "black box" to take care of the DVI/HDCP). I bought the Panny 53WX42 and I love it and have no regrets. If DVI is your only concern, I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.