Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm ready to jump into the water and get a HDTV. What's the best size when the viewer is sitting 8 to 10 ft away?

What's the best Direct View? I am partial to Mits but I haven't seen a 16:9 direct view.

Please help, I value this esteemed group's opinion.

------------------

AZJimbo

"Effective use of Technology Increases Learning"

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have a Mitsubishi 65" Diamond and the middle of the couch is exactly 10' from the screen. My room is 13'wide x 19' long with another 6' for a kitchen dining nook.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc> w/2.0.1

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The generally accepted optimal distances for ordinary TV, progressive (deinterlaced) TV and HDTV are:

NTSC (i) - 7 times screen height

NTSC (p) - 5 times screen height

HD - 3.3 times screen height

This distance is the closest you can sit without being annoyed by artifacts. As is the case here, these numbers are commonly tossed around without attribution.

Given the above and the fact that the height of a 16:9 set is half the diagonal, if you are 8 feet from the set, the diagonal should be 8*12*2/3.3= 58 inches. i.e., a Pioneer Elite 610 is the set for you http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Note however, that if you sit at the optimal distance for HD, NTSC will be rather annoying.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

·
Registered
809 Posts
I slightly disagree about HDTV formula. I feel numbers should be based on resolution perception of the number of scan lines, the 3.3 HD is actually based on a 30 degree of view. It is 3.2 times screen height based on lines of resolution/perception. I published a (c)chart with a wide range of screen sizes in my hdtvinsider.com newsletter. A condensed version is available in the July/August issue of The Perfect Vision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. My next question is very subjective, but at a viewing distance of 8 to 10 ft, is direct view or rear projection the way to go. I was looking at the 55" Mits.

It is also a very bright room. Perhaps I need to find a dealer who will agree to swap RP for DV or visa versa if I don't like the way it performs in my home.

Any suggestions or life experiences?

------------------

AZJimbo

"Effective use of Technology Increases Learning"

·
Registered
71 Posts
Larry -- the figures you gave are for the "closest" you can sit. So, is there a "range" or "sweet spot?" At what distance do you lose the benefit of an HD picture? Thanks!

------------------

Greg Gizmo

·
Registered
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AZJimbo:
It is also a very bright room. Perhaps I need to find a dealer who will agree to swap RP for DV or visa versa if I don't like the way it performs in my home.
Rear projection TVs don't work well in a bright room. The light will wash out the screen, and if you turn up the brightness/contrast to compensate, you will probably cause burn in and other damage to the (expensive) picture tubes.

If you want an RPTV, look into ways of darkening the room, put the TV in a different room (that can be darkened) or watch the TV only at night.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:
the figures you gave are for the "closest" you can sit. So, is there a "range" or "sweet spot?" At what distance do you lose the benefit of an HD picture?
The figures given are not exact. The actual best distance depends somewhat on your own visual acuity and on the quality of your set and the quality of the source. It also depends on the picture content -- a view of some clouds is much more forgiving than a view of some text.

But the figures given are pretty much the sweet spots. Closer and you will be annoyed by aberrations and farther away your eyes will be limiting and the resolution will go to waste.

Logically, if you sit, say 7 picture heights from an HDTV set, it might as well be standard definition.

Direct view sets with their highly visible shadow mask will need to be somewhat farther away than an RPTV.

(Sometimes I wonder if people who like direct view sets are tricked into thinking the picture is sharper because of the shadow mask. No one on this forum, of course -- just some people.)

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

·
Registered
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AZJimbo:
Hi,

I'm ready to jump into the water and get a HDTV. What's the best size when the viewer is sitting 8 to 10 ft away?
It's really depends on what you are watching! How much SD, HD, DVD, and/or VHS viewing do you plan to do?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a Mits Platinum plus 55" and works great at 8-10 ft.

viewing.

------------------

PeterDz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.