AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a new tv and have a price range of right around $1500. I would prefer a tv that is 46". Which model would be the best value around that price range?

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Or the Samsung LN46A550.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The Samsung 650/750, and Sony's XBR6 or 4100 series, and the higher end Panasonic models are really good from what i have seen in person.

Can't go wrong with either brand to be honest.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta Babe /forum/post/14271654

Would it be worth it to save up for the LN46A650 over the 550?

It all depends whether you want AMP and 120Hz. And if you can afford it, then it's a good idea to go with A650 or even A750.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
i wouldnt get the a650 lol, check the a650 thread, so many ppl are returning their sets because they dont like this and they dont like that.. oh well. but the a550 is the top of the line 60hz LCD HDTV at this moment with a very nice price tag, get the 46 incher and ur gooood

·
Registered
7,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/14272154

i wouldnt get the a650 lol, check the a650 thread, so many ppl are returning their sets because they dont like this and they dont like that.. oh well. but the a550 is the top of the line 60hz LCD HDTV at this moment with a very nice price tag, get the 46 incher and ur gooood

Go read real owner reviews at Amazon and CC and other sites not the incessant WHINERS on this forum that have an issue and post and repost their whining over and over - happy owners don't really seek out our Forum or waste their time seeking to post their panel satisfaction. To provide an example of how ridiculous this can get - we had an unhappy owner on this forum with an SXRD once and he reposted his dissatisfaction over 300 times over the same damn event over a two month period and he's not the only one that does this. His event was acknowledged as very real but he turned this forum into his personal soapbox muddying the feedback adversely every single day for months.

Best value should be the 550 and that Panasonic will suck if you have a sun filled room PERIOD having owned one in the past it was a POS and useless in daylight!

Plasma fans get bored and come slumming over here regularly and this is an LCD thread for LCD Shoppers and owners and one of the reasons they separated the threads over a year ago - so go troll in your Kuro Serfdom.

121 Owners of the 46" 550 on Amazon with 5 star rating

If what the one poster alleges is FACT how the hell could you get 121 separate owners to award the panel five star average (96 awarded it 5 stars, 22 awarded 4stars, two owners gave it 3 stars and one gave it 2 stars and zero 1 star ratings) Non-sense that has no universal pool of both happy owners vs owners only seeking their individual events here certainly does not represent the consumer base pool as a whole - that is a false perception that people take from this forum - it's loaded with Whiners and to prove my point please show us a single panel without it occuring - with every friggin panel the honeymoon ends within two weeks and then the nitpickers take over.

Even Kuro has it's detractors with the BUZZ and daylight gray panel and dimness and phosphor trails. The only Panel I've seen with next to no issues was the Qualia006 SXRD which cost them over $13K - rare any problems occurred in that thread - a rare event here.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I'd probably favor the Sony KDL-46V4100, since you have a more defined picture, more connectivity, better audio quality, and more motion blur reduction, even tho it's 60Hz, it still does have CineMotion, iirc. Samsung's better in the higher-end LCDs, Sony's better in the entry-level and mid-range, that's how I see it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
sup guys,

sorry to hijack the thread but i dont want to make a whole new thread for the same exact question. I'm looking for the best 50-52 inch HDTV (PLASMA or LCD is fine, just best for the value) for $1500, so it would be wonderful if someone can throw me some suggestions with some links with thoughts about the TV.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta Babe /forum/post/14271333

I am looking to buy a new tv and have a price range of right around $1500. I would prefer a tv that is 46". Which model would be the best value around that price range?

Try to get the 47" panels as they might be IPS, which are better than the PVA panels. Also unlike many brands, LG makes their own panels. I would consider:

LG-47LG50
http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lg-l...lg-47lg50.html

Vizio's 47" panel is supposedly from LG.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Yes, the true manufacturers of panels are LG, Sharp, and Samsung (supposedly teamed up with Sony, but Samsung owns the majority of that joint venture). However, Samsung seems to be the highest PQ of the three, since it can produce deeper blacks than the LG panels, has better 120Hz processing, and best color accuracy. Not knocking LG, they make a fine panel, but the panel of the LG just can't produce an inky shade of black, or a blinding, bright white for that matter.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/14272154

Me included...i am not trying to be rude or whiny, but it really is annoying to have white spots be where there should be black. For christ sakes, at least remove the flashlights in the corners where I CANT AVOID the letterboxing during movies.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Panasonic (or Matushita) supposedly owns IPS Alpha!

Granted the black levels of the PVA panels are great. My jaws dropped when I saw a well calibrated Toshiba. However the moment I moved away and was at an angle, the picture quality did decrease.

Now do the same experiment on any IPS panel, be in LG or Panasonic or any IPS monitor (e.g. Apple 30") and you will know.

I did look at the Samsungs and they are very good too. However I couldnt make out any difference between the 550 and the 650 both playing some fast blue ray movie. Maybe I have weaker eyes. But, I liked the colors and the viewing angles of the Panasonic and the overall blacks of the Toshiba. Sony was neither here not there. At least that was my impression, YMMV. BTW I was only looking at 32, 37 inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob /forum/post/14277035

Yes, the true manufacturers of panels are LG, Sharp, and Samsung (supposedly teamed up with Sony, but Samsung owns the majority of that joint venture). However, Samsung seems to be the highest PQ of the three, since it can produce deeper blacks than the LG panels, has better 120Hz processing, and best color accuracy. Not knocking LG, they make a fine panel, but the panel of the LG just can't produce an inky shade of black, or a blinding, bright white for that matter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts