AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to spend about $2-3000 on a HDTV monitor but currently my cable provider does not broadcast any HDTV. Currently I do not even have thier digital cable option. (I assume all HDTV's are cable ready - coax connection so I can tune in channels)

I'm looking for around a 50 - 53" model.

What would be the best HDTV for a bad analog input? My viewing habits I watch 2-3 movies a week and the rest is cable tv. I probably will make the jump to Dish in the future but would like passable quality in the mean time.

-Spike out

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
First of all, we have to clarify what sort of signal you have. Do you know you have a "bad" analog cable connection? Or, do you just know you have an analog cable connection and you assume analog is inferior to digital cable or the dish?

Don't get caught up in the digital hype. Analog cable can look better or worse than digital signals depending upon the quality of each. Of course, any standard signal isn't good to amazing when stretched up to 50".

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am assuming it's very bad. I have no set top box it plugs right into the back of my current TV. All and all I can't complain about the quality when viewed with my 36" Magnavox. BTW the cable company is Adelphia.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I doubt any HDTV will look good with a poor signal no matter what brand. Since HDTV's are usually over 50" wide and really demand a good signal, there is no way around the problem of a bad signal.

At least your DVD's will look great and eventually you can upgrade to HD-Direct TV when it becomes available.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Unless your a DVD addict, I would stay with my older set till I have a quality signal, IMO.

Jim

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
From what I have seen the Pio Elite and newer Mits CRT RPTVs do a pretty good job with analog cable. They need a quality line doubler. That said - if the signal is bad - garbage in - garbage out. The new technologies like the Sammy DLP and Panny LCD do not look good with analog cable - but offer a great picture if fed an all digital source through DVI - especially HD. I have also seen ED plasmas like the Panasonic look pretty good with analog cable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.