AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on which HDTV sat box to buy? Cost no object, just want one with fewest glitches. Will need to receiver OTA channels as well. Thanks

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
The Hughes is by far the best HD STB on the market. Tweeter sells them. Also the Hughes clones (Toshiba, Mitsubishi and Philips) are identical but may cost more than the Hughes box.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
I would wait a couple of months until the next generation boxes start making their way to dealers shelves. Virtually all of the current models are either out of production or will be very shortly. The new units should offer better over the air reception, digital outputs, and hopefully such features as faster menus and perhaps better user interfaces and hopefully less software hardware and software design issues.

Ron Jones
www.dtvmax.com

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Will the new units degrade the signal if you don't have dvi or firewire connection in your existing RPTV?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
When will we know if/when this will happen? Might it happen later this year, in the first dvi or firewire compatible stb's that come out?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tammes
Down-rez to 480. No offical word if/when this might happen...
There is the potential for a lot misinformation sprouting from this comment. First off, this would not happen to OTA HDTV, or to channels like HDNet. Second, some stb's might down-res on command, others may go blank on HDTV output. No one knows for sure yet, as it will depend on a number of yet undetermined factors.

One must be careful when making generalizations, yes?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Oh, and as far as 'the best stb', there is no such thing. Your choice needs to depend on what your other hardware will do (like what formats is your display compatible with?) and what your expectations are.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
Oh, and as far as 'the best stb', there is no such thing. Your choice needs to depend on what your other hardware will do (like what formats is your display compatible with?) and what your expectations are.
Sure there is Ken. We've already established that it's the Hughes-----Didn't we???

·
Registered
731 Posts
I had the Hughes and didn't like it. I now have the Sony and love it. Others here rave about the Zenith being the best.

I have to agree with Ken, the best STB depends on your set, your needs, and your tastes.

·
Registered
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Benji

Sure there is Ken. We've already established that it's the Hughes-----Didn't we???
We who? The 'Royal We'? You & the mouse in your pocket?

Sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.