AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a home that has an existing hard wired alarm. I would prefer not to use a security company and need a system that I can set up to call my cell phone. I would also like some expandability and a computer interface. Easy to set up and use would be a big plus.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tony,

Thanks. I'll check into that.

·
Registered
900 Posts
The OmniPro II with the voice module is your answer.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I've learned a LITTLE about this, and it seems you can program most alarm systems to call whatever number you prefer. My very inexpensive and outdated DSC PC1550 will do it, so I assume that most other systems will also do this. They try to speak to the central computer of a security company in various digital formats, which I guess might sound like a modem. That would still work, because caller ID would let you know the call is from your house, and the modem tones would identify the caller as your alarm system. But there is a problem. I believe the alarm system automatically makes periodic test calls to verify that communications is working. I imagine the test calls and real emergency calls will be indistinguishable, which makes this unsuitable for home owner monitoring.

As you guys have pointed out, HAI systems can do what I need to do, and a whole lot more. But that's really much more than I need. Any less expensive systems that are also home owner monitoring friendly?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
As others mentioned, Calling your cell phone is nice, But with the OMNI II, you can get called and OMNI will verbally announce what zone is breached, who opened what door, if your garage door is opened or closed, temperature of your garage, aquarium, fish pond, where motion is detected, who armed or disarmed the system. And as you mentioned in another thread, you can easily open, close, and monitor the garage door with the OMNI, with no other modules required.

I also think that it is a very good idea to have a central station for $8.00 per month. Your cell phone is not always 100% reliable, and your not available 24 HRS 7 days a week.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Joe,

I apologize for misnaming this thread. I'm looking for a system that will allow me to self monitor, not the absolute best system. I was hoping for a system that would allow me to do other things in the future, but I currently have several other projects (as new home buyers do) that are higher on my priority list.

You cited a lot of cool features, but of the all the things you mention, the only thing I would REALLY like to do is auto close my garage door, which I've already taken care of for $65 shipped. The OMNI II is way overkill for my current needs.

I agree the cell phone route not 100% infallible, but I think it's good enough. I always have my cell phone with me, so the only problem would be if I'm in a bad coverage area when a problem arises. I don't know what the probability of those two scenarios happening at once is, but I think it's low enough that I'm comfortable with it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Does anyone have more info on getting an existing system to call me instead. I would be more then happy with this option.. I just purchased my home with a pre-existing system. I hardly ever go out as I work from my home office and the few times i do I am within 15 miles.

·
Registered
300 Posts
A "voice-dialer" can be added to an existing system, to give you that functionality. Check with your alarm contractor -- they'll know what it is, and it shouldn't be very expensive.

However, if you're looking for a new system, the Omni line is hard to beat. If the Omni II or Pro II is too much, check out the OmniLT model, which shouldn't be much more than a "normal" alarm panel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.