AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am needing some advice after doing months of research.

I have a 115" Black Diamond zero edge screen

I have a space carved out in the soffit in the back of our room (approx 22 feet back) and it's about 8"-12" above the screen.

I'm trying to find a quality projector (besides Epson 6030) that gives a very clear picture for watching sports (similar to nice flat screen) that can sit 22 feet back in our room.  Or will I have to buy a Sony and buy the extra zoom lens to make it work?

My question:

What is the best kind of projector (under $8K) that will give me a very quality crisp image from 22 foot throw distance with a black diamond?  Or does the black diamond make words on Sportscenter, etc a little fuzzy so it's difficult to get a clear picture no matter what projector you use? 

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

·
Registered
32,831 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux  /t/1521512/best-home-projector-22-feet-throw-black-diamond#post_24454319

For sure don't go for the Sony with a conversion lens.

With your long throw and a Black Diamond screen you need light output-lots of light output

The Epson 6030 would work well.

If you want something with a substantial increase in light output checkout the Digital Projections M-Vision 320 HB-4:000 lumens. I think it's close to your budget might be a bit more.
http://www.digitalprojection.com/BrowseProjectors/SeriesList/ProjectorList/ProjectorDetail/tabid/87/ProjectorId/181/Default.aspx

Without knowing more about the room and ambient light conditions, there is no way to determine what he needs in the way of lumens. Using living room calibrated mode with an epson 5030 or 6030 he would get around 31.5 FL. That would be very bright in most rooms.

Calibrated living room mode, 1,200 lumens, mid zoom. Deduct 25% for longer (22') of throw. That leaves you with 900 lumens. 900 lumens multiplied by 1.4 (screen gain) gives you 1,260 lumens. 1260 /39.98 (screen SF) = 31.5 FL. Unless the room is just not suited for front projection, the Epson should work fine, but still need to know more info to fully determine suitability. Even with a JVC, allowing for loss of lumens due to throw, the customer would get 20 FL in best image mode, calibrated.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Mike

I was going by his comment
Quote:
clear picture for watching sports (similar to nice flat screen)

An important question after what are the room conditions would be if you already have the screen what screen surface do you have?

My experience with the original SI Black Diamond surface now called Black Diamond 4K 0.8 was that high light output is critical no matter what conditions for an acceptable image.

There just no way around it -its a black surface! I also think the .8 gain rating is a bit optimistic.

The Black Diamond 4K 1.4 will work with a bit less light.

Don't get me wrong I like the SI screens and have installed many.

The only issue with the Zero Edge product is that in many cases it has been difficult to get the darn thing into the room.

Its a massive ridged object!

If you have stairs to contend with its virtually impossible to get it down/up them.

·
Registered
32,831 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux  /t/1521512/best-home-projector-22-feet-throw-black-diamond#post_24455642

Mike

I was going by his comment

An important question after what are the room conditions would be if you already have the screen what screen surface do you have?

My experience with the original SI Black Diamond surface now called Black Diamond 4K 0.8 was that high light output is critical no matter what conditions for an acceptable image.

There just no way around it -its a black surface! I also think the .8 gain rating is a bit optimistic.

The Black Diamond 4K 1.4 will work with a bit less light.

Don't get me wrong I like the SI screens and have installed many.

The only issue with the Zero Edge product is that in many cases it has been difficult to get the darn thing into the room.

Its a massive ridged object!

If you have stairs to contend with its virtually impossible to get it down/up them.

I agree about the 0.8 gain, but the OP'er never mentioned 0.8 gain. From other conversations (you could not know) with the OP'er, I know he is referring to the 1.4 gain material.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I have a BD 115" w/ 1.4 gain.   I had the Epson and for some reason there is a slight blur when watching sports or live TV especially when you see the score on the bottom or scrolling ticket, etc.  It's frustrating because I thought the picture would be much more crisp.    I just don't know if it's the throw distance being further back w/ the Epson 6030 or is it the Black Diamond screen causing this issue?   Or it could be a bad projector. 

I thought w/ the Epson being further back you would just lose a litle brightness but the picture would be more crisp. 

1 - 7 of 7 Posts