AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to upgrade my current home theater amp since i got a new sammy 61" dlp to watch movies on.

I want to spend around $1000 - most likely on ebay find one. what do you all recommend?

The things that are important to me are:

Component switching, pref DVI connectors

digital ins

other good home theater stuff i might be missing. its going to drive a set of klipsh forte 2's for the main's, a klipsh self powered subwoofer, a yet to be purhased center chanel, and soon some new rear speakers since the ones i have suck.

anyway, just wonder whats the feeling among the group.

thx!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
You aren't looking for an amp by your description. You are looking for a receiver. I know this is picking nits, but there is a HUGE difference between them.

For a grand, you won't find DVI switching. Not going to happen. Not even used (I've only heard of 1 pre-amp only that had DVI swithcing). All the $1k receivers (street price) have component switching. I'm aware of the Denon 3803 that upconverts to component, the others will switch, but not upconvert.

Some models to look at:

Sony 4ES

Pioneer Elite 45TX

Denon 3803

H/K 525

Onkyo 800 & 900

These are all current models and you should be able to find them under a grand (not sure about Onkyo 900) on the street from authorized dealers.

Good luck,

Sorny

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
"I've been very pleased with my Sony STR-DA4ES."

I 2nd that as well. The 4ES has served my needs well, give it an audition.

·
Registered
897 Posts
You can get DVI switching for around $150-$200. If you splurged for a big DLP why not go all-out on your reciever/amp too? :) :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Denon 3803 fits your needs and is a very nice receiver for $1,000.

- Cryo

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info... definitely a good place to start.

i broke the bank on the tv, thats why the bank has to stay reasonable on the amp! heheh

while this is fairly minor, do any of the above amps come in silver? i looked on the websites but they all are black.

thx!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Off the top of my head, only Panasonic & low-end Sony has silver receivers in your price range. However, these silver receivers are not anywhere near the quality of what has been suggested already (the panny's are cheap junk, IMHO, as are non-ES Sony).

There is a new Harman Kardon receiver that should be out shortly called the DPR1001 that is half-silver. It is "only" 50 Watts per channel though; the lower wattage probably won't matter since you are using Klipsch speakers.

There is some more cud for you to chew... :)

Sorny

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Rotel offers receivers in silver. Not sure if the 1055 fits your price range or not, since I don't know off-hand what their new/used price is.

Other silver stuff... can't think of much. :(

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Now that you're up to $1500, the B&K 307 can be had on eBay or audiogon. You may even find it in silver. If not, buy one in black, and switch to a silver faceplate.

I've seen black, silver and gold units on the aforementioned sites go for less than your 'adjusted' price.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I would go with the denon 3803 and use the component switching/upconversion features until you can spring for a good separate amp... this way you can use the 3803 as a pre/pro once you get the amp since the processing capabilities of the 3803 are of very good quality. Then when the upgrade bug bites again you can upgrade to a new pre/pro if necessary. Of course you wouldn't have DVI capabilities (And its not silver), but you could make due with the component switching until there is a resonably priced pre/pro with DVI switching. Just a thought.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.