AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for another "help me find a projector and screen thread" I have spent quite a bit of time looking here and other sites and here is what my needs are

My media room 14'4" X19'

The screen would go on the wall which is 14'4". There are two windows on that wall which are 22" wide x 71" tall. I plan on using black out curtains for those windows. Also, my builder has prewired to room for Dolby 7.1 and has placed the left and right in wall prewiring just inside each window on the screen wall. This reduces the length of the screen to about 96".

Ceiling height - 10 ft

Throw distance 14 ft

Screen type - Fixed but open to motorized

Screen size diagonal - Between 100-110" (Would have to go to an AT screen if I want to go to 110" diagonal)

Viewing distance (eyes to screen) 10-14 ft

Wall color. - Dark gray (Kwal Lead)

Ceiling color - White

Dedicated space - Yes

Full light control

Viewing habits - Mostly Blu Ray movies at night with total darkness. 25% sports with some ambient light. No gaming

Components - STB (Verizon FioS, Apple TV, BD)

Projectors I have seen and liked so far - Sony VPL-VW55ES, Epson 5030UB and 6030UB, JVC X35. Have not seen the new JVC entry level "4K" projector yet but would be open to increase the budget if it is worth it.

I am open to B stock suggestions as well. In the past I had a JVC DLA-HD950. Prefer LCD, LCos, or SXRD projectors.

Screens - Prefer to stay below $1K but can go up to $2K if need be. I have owned a BD 1.4 in the past but rarely watched with ambient light.

Would it be better to go with a high end screen like a BD with a good but not great projector like the Espon 8350 or would it be better to get a very good projector like the Sony or Epson 6030 with a good screen given my situation?

Thanks for any input! Really appreciated!

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
The BD screens are terrible and have extensive sparkles and sheen. They should never be used if at all possible.

Instead, if you intend to use in-wall speakers, I would get some good in-wall speakers and an acoustically transparent screen and maximize the screen size with a Seymour A/V fixed frame screen. Fixed frame screens are better than all motorized screens and offer a high level of quality for the money.

http://www.seymourav.com/store.asp

About $1,200 or so, and shoot for 110" or larger on the screen.

You should paint your ceiling dark. You really MUST paint your ceiling dark for best results.

The Sony or JVC would be my recommendations. Both are excellent models. I think the JVC is my favorite sub-$3,000 projector on the market.

·
Registered
31,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjay71  /t/1523274/best-home-theater-projector-for-around-3k-and-screen-for-2k-or-less#post_24502328

Sorry for another "help me find a projector and screen thread" I have spent quite a bit of time looking here and other sites and here is what my needs are

My media room 14'4" X19'

The screen would go on the wall which is 14'4". There are two windows on that wall which are 22" wide x 71" tall. I plan on using black out curtains for those windows. Also, my builder has prewired to room for Dolby 7.1 and has placed the left and right in wall prewiring just inside each window on the screen wall. This reduces the length of the screen to about 96".

Ceiling height - 10 ft

Throw distance 14 ft

Screen type - Fixed but open to motorized

Screen size diagonal - Between 100-110" (Would have to go to an AT screen if I want to go to 110" diagonal)

Viewing distance (eyes to screen) 10-14 ft

Wall color. - Dark gray (Kwal Lead)

Ceiling color - White

Dedicated space - Yes

Full light control

Viewing habits - Mostly Blu Ray movies at night with total darkness. 25% sports with some ambient light. No gaming

Components - STB (Verizon FioS, Apple TV, BD)

Projectors I have seen and liked so far - Sony VPL-VW55ES, Epson 5030UB and 6030UB, JVC X35. Have not seen the new JVC entry level "4K" projector yet but would be open to increase the budget if it is worth it.

I am open to B stock suggestions as well. In the past I had a JVC DLA-HD950. Prefer LCD, LCos, or SXRD projectors.

Screens - Prefer to stay below $1K but can go up to $2K if need be. I have owned a BD 1.4 in the past but rarely watched with ambient light.

Would it be better to go with a high end screen like a BD with a good but not great projector like the Espon 8350 or would it be better to get a very good projector like the Sony or Epson 6030 with a good screen given my situation?

Thanks for any input! Really appreciated!

Sent you a PM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts