AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cost not withstanding, is there one brand (or a handful) of home theater seat that's considered the best of the best?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I don't have the Cine Loungers or Acoustic Innovations seats but if I had the money I'd go with the Cine Loungers because they look more attractive to me and have a much wider selection.

You can go to their website and email them for prices.

There is also http://www.irwinseating.com/ and http://www.stargatecinema.com/cart/c...me.php?cat=253

If I wasn't Bargain Betty or frugal, I'd go with these in this color:

http://www.homecinemaaccessories.com...t.cfm?id=regal

or

http://www.stargatecinema.com/cart/c...cat=253&page=1

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Bass Celebrity Lounger!

I have 2 and they are awesome! They fit both me 6'1" and my wife 5'1".

I went to a show and sat in ALL the chairs that were there and these were the best. Try to find a place that has these.

My $.02

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Cineloungers and AI are okay, but the reigning champ in my book is still Cinematech--built like tanks, absolutely beautiful leather options, "proper" HT dimensions and priced accordingly (the top optioned models can hit $5,000 a seat). If you're in that price range, you definitely owe it to yourself to give them a test ride. I haven't seen their "cheaper" ACT II seats, though, so caveat emptor--stuff may have been lost in the translation.

http://www.cinematechseating.com/index.asp

I looked at Cineloungers, AI, Cinematech, Irwin et all and I myself ended up going with Berkline 090s...I got five in full leather for about what one of the Cinematechs I wanted would have cost. The 090s are no where near as nice (i.e., the leather isn't the greatest, the rear facade is somewhat lacking, the seat widths are borderline *too* wide, etc.), but excellent bang for the buck. Besides, my wife would have killed me if she found out I had spent $25,000 for seats. :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by amillians
Cineloungers and AI are okay, but the reigning champ in my book is still Cinematech--built like tanks, absolutely beautiful leather options, "proper" HT dimensions and priced accordingly (the top optioned models can hit $5,000 a seat). If you're in that price range, you definitely owe it to yourself to give them a test ride. I haven't seen their "cheaper" ACT II seats, though, so caveat emptor--stuff may have been lost in the translation.

http://www.cinematechseating.com/index.asp

I looked at Cineloungers, AI, Cinematech, Irwin et all and I myself ended up going with Berkline 090s...I got five in full leather for about what one of the Cinematechs I wanted would have cost. The 090s are no where near as nice (i.e., the leather isn't the greatest, the rear facade is somewhat lacking, the seat widths are borderline *too* wide, etc.), but excellent bang for the buck. Besides, my wife would have killed me if she found out I had spent $25,000 for seats. :)

Thanks, I'll definitely check them out. Can I ask, what are "proper" HT dimensions? I just want to know what to look out for in other seats.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
"Proper" dimensions is just my snooty way of noting that the seats are designed specifically for the needs of a theater and are not just traditional "La-Z-Boy with a cupholder" type designs. This is one area where Berkline is off--the 090s are way too wide and a bit too tall (for most people, but luckily not me!), and the 099s just make it worse. Cinematech, AI, Cinelounger and other HT-specific providers follow the "proper" dimenions and design philosopy: narrow seat widths to allow for more seats per row, low back height and/or articulating headrests to allow for unobstructed surround sound enjoyment, reclining mechanisms that doesn't have you starting at the ceiling when you lean back a little, etc. Please note that a lot of people find such seats uncomfortable, so definitely demo your options if you can.

·
Registered
24,895 Posts
I have AI seats and I like them for a few reasons including the number of width options as well as the modular construction. This allowed me to literally use every inch of space that I wanted to and still get the 12 seats in. As an example my back row is way up there so code required a railing or half wall. This limited the seat width but since AI has seating with straight arms, wide arms, narrow wedge arms , wide wedge arms( to produce curves in the rows) as well as consoles or no arms at all, I was able to get two individual and a center love seat in the back row. AI seats are very firm which may not appeal to everyone but for movies it is great since after about 45 minutes the added support will be appreciated. They have several seat widths also so if you want you can go with wider or more narrow seats with all of the arm options you can set up seating arrangements to fit any room. I recommend the curved arrangement since in the outer seats, it is natural to shift yourself toward the center of the screen and with the curved rows this is built in and more comfortable.

I went with AI since there was a local dealer and this was one of the few seats I'd had the opportunity to actually sit in. I will also say that there are some things I don't like but there are ways around this. The back of the seats should have a raised area to support your neck. Upright or reclined you sit with your head away from the back while looking at the screen. Your neck will get tired so the pillows that my wife made for the front row are visible in my HT link. When reclined the seats should be designed so that the seat portion drops at the junction of the back and seat while the portion near the footrest comes up sightly. This would allow weight to distribute on your lower back and rear end( my car seats do this and you never have to shift from your rear getting tired).

All in all I think these are great seats but my experience has been limited to Berklines and AI so be cognizant of that in considering my opinions.

Art

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Art Sonneborn
I have AI seats and I like them for a few reasons including the number of width options as well as the modular construction. This allowed me to literally use every inch of space that I wanted to and still get the 12 seats in. As an example my back row is way up there so code required a railing or half wall. This limited the seat width but since AI has seating with straight arms, wide arms, narrow wedge arms , wide wedge arms( to produce curves in the rows) as well as consoles or no arms at all, I was able to get two individual and a center love seat in the back row. AI seats are very firm which may not appeal to everyone but for movies it is great since after about 45 minutes the added support will be appreciated. They have several seat widths also so if you want you can go with wider or more narrow seats with all of the arm options you can set up seating arrangements to fit any room. I recommend the curved arrangement since in the outer seats, it is natural to shift yourself toward the center of the screen and with the curved rows this is built in and more comfortable.

I went with AI since there was a local dealer and this was one of the few seats I'd had the opportunity to actually sit in. I will also say that there are some things I don't like but there are ways around this. The back of the seats should have a raised area to support your neck. Upright or reclined you sit with your head away from the back while looking at the screen. Your neck will get tired so the pillows that my wife made for the front row are visible in my HT link. When reclined the seats should be designed so that the seat portion drops at the junction of the back and seat while the portion near the footrest comes up sightly. This would allow weight to distribute on your lower back and rear end( my car seats do this and you never have to shift from your rear getting tired).

All in all I think these are great seats but my experience has been limited to Berklines and AI so be cognizant of that in considering my opinions.

Art
That was a super helpful post, thank you. In fact, I have gotten down to one worry myself with the AI seats, the headrest. Haven't decided about that yet...

Also, I sat in an AI seat and noticed that you can't independently adjust the footrest and recline. Is that what you were referring too? How much does that bug you?

Your theater is truly great. I noticed you have two CRTs. I have been thinking DLP for brightness, but two CRTs is the other option. How have you found that? I imagine the picture is magnificent, but what about set-up/maintenance?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
24,895 Posts
pcdoctor,

Thanks! The theater is constantly in progress. I'm almost finished with a new marquee that is larger and has recessed lights in it as well as a name for my theater.

thegratingone,

The foot rest not being independent of reclining had not really bothered me, it is just the way that the lower back is raised to such an extent for support that if you go only partially reclined you feel a little like you are going to slide out. If the seat dropped in back slightly or the front raised slightly as you recline then your weight would distribute onto your butt and back evenly.( if you look at the link pcdoctor provided those are First Impressions seats and they are the same as AI in this regard based on that side view, very very high lumbar area). As I said reclining car seats have this adjustment and it is exceedingly comfortable for extended periods.

The stacked CRTs are 5 years old now but produce a very very nice picture ( in fact I'm having a hard time coming up with anything to go to that I can call an upgrade!). If you decide to go that way you must get a stack guru on board. There are few but they are very capable of making them sing and stable. I've literally not touched anything other than the on button on mine in eight months. It is my opinion that if you want the best picture quality that can be produced in 2003 on a screen in the 8' to 11' width range it is still stacked CRTs.

Art

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
thegratingone,

My thought is that whatever seat makes you feel the most comfortable with the best look at the best pricepoint is the best seat.

I myself got a great deal on Berkline 090's - couldn't pass 'em up. They are comfortable, but only 3 of them are electric recline and I would love to have them all that way (I have 7). They also take up a lot of space. Eight way hand-tied construction is not on their agenda - however, because of the money I saved I'll be able to upgrade my components sooner!

Pam:D

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Quote:
I'm almost finished with a new marquee that is larger and has recessed lights in it as well as a name for my theater.

Art
Keep us posted on the new marquee! That project is on my to-do list and I like what you've done before - can't wait to see the improvements!

Randy

·
Registered
100 Posts
Quote:
pcdoctor,

Thanks! The theater is constantly in progress. I'm almost finished with a new marquee that is larger and has recessed lights in it as well as a name for my theater.

Art
After viewing your theatre pics Art, I think Colossus would be an apt name.

Your theatre inspired my own recent upgrade of my theatre, including placement of lighting at the front to point down the (soon to be installed) curtains as well as lighting at the sides of the walls.

Budgetry constraints limited the overall effect I could achieve, but it is amazing what a few coats of paint can achieve.

I only have seating for 4 people at the moment (room is only about 12ft wide), but I intend to build a riser and place some more seating across to accommodate up to 8 people hopefully.

Cheers

Sen

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Art,

I can't wait to see the new marquee.

Recessed lights.

What the heck?!?

I'm trying to imagine what it's going to look like.

I'm anxious!

So, when do you think you will be finished with the marquee.

Please post pics asap.

·
Registered
24,895 Posts
Thanks all for the encouragement. When I said nearly completed this was based on the percentage of total work:D I finally began gluing the components together last night. ( weekends are short and the only time I can work on this). The marquee has too parts, what I call the Art- work and the base. The artwork will be similar to the previous one but much larger. The base made from 2x2s, plywood and laminate will house the lights and provide support. I did not order the lights yet but will today and I have an electrician friend who is gym buddy and movie buff who will wire it for me.

I'll see if I can't get a few pics of it in the workshop.

Art

·
Registered
1 Posts
We too decided on the Celebrity Loungers after viewing them at CEDIA last September. Several online sites offered Bass seating, but we could not have been more pleased with the service we received from Home Theater Decor. While their posted prices were in line with the others, we were able to negociate a better deal. We may always be looking for the latest and greatest in electonics, but we already have the perfect chairs.

http://www.hometheaterdecor.com

·
Registered
66 Posts
I too reviewed all the seats at CEDIA and think, if money is no object, Cinematech are the best. I bought eight Casablanca's and love them. There are some considerations that I missed though. First, money no object, the electric reclining option would have been nice, if only to be able to adjust and stop the recline exactly where you want it. Also, telescoping foot rests would be good. I am 6'1" and half way through a movie, I have to adjust my legs where my calves rest on the footrest. I think the standard size seats are probably designed for 5'10" person. The articulating back rest is great, and that option alone would narrow down any future purchases for me.

John

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.